President Nana Akufo-Addo, has indicated that it is only fitting that Government helps to facilitate the accelerated development of the Ahafo Region, a region with considerable deposits of natural resources.
According to President Akufo-Addo, “with the Ahafo Region home to large deposits of gold, diamond, iron-ore and bauxite, and with significant percentage of the nation’s food produce coming from here, the potential for development clearly exists.”
He indicated that, with the creation of the Ahafo Region, “Residents of Ahafo are of the firm belief that there would be better access to government institutions, better population-to-service ratios, enhanced employment and increased socio-economic activities, and increased investment opportunities.”
President Akufo-Addo made this known on Wednesday, February 13, when he presented the Constitutional Instrument (C.I. 114) signifying the creation of the Ahafo Region.
Addressing the gathering, made up of Chiefs, elders and members from the new Region, President Akufo-Addo noted that, within one week of the declaration of the Referendum in Ahafo, he constituted a 7-member Government Committee, chaired by the Minister for Regional Re-organisation and Development, Hon. Dan Botwe, MP, to plan and oversee the rapid development of the Ahafo Region, and the five other newly-created regions.
“In the President’s 2019 Budget Statement, an amount of GH¢20 million has been allocated as seed capital for the smooth takeoff of the Ahafo Region,” the President added.
The President told the gathering that, until the appointment of a substantive Regional Minister for Ahafo, he has asked the current Regional Minister for Brong-Ahafo, Hon. Evans Opoku-Bobie, MP for Asunafo North, to act as caretaker Minister.
“Goaso has also been chosen as the capital of the Ahafo Region. I want to assure residents of the Region, however, that Government projects and structures will be equitably spread across the Region,” he added.
See photos below:
More Politics Headlines
- Bawumia mocks 'General Mosquito' over new Master's degree
- Anlo chief set to mediate Bimbilla chieftaincy dispute
- Minority calls out gov’t over employment data
- A Pratt-Baako ticket for 2020… To break NPP-NDC stranglehold
- Gov’t says 611,397 new jobs created between 2017 and 2018
- Builsa chiefs install Akufo-Addo 'Chief for the Poor and Vulnerable'
- Ghana-India Kofi Annan Centre used ¢2m without approval - Report
- Akufo-Addo cuts sod for construction of Tamale Airport Phase II
- House of Chiefs defers Bunkpurugu conflict verdict
- PDS saga: Information Minister rubbishes Minority's petition to U.S.
- 'Free SHS has come to stay' - Mahama
- Minority petitions US ambassador over PDS debacle
- V8 scandal will not affect MP bid - Dumelo
- Apaak wants OSP to prosecute NPP members, FC officials over rosewood export
- $1m payment to Kroll Ass: Sanction Finance Ministry officials - PAC Chair