President Nana Akufo-Addo, has indicated that it is only fitting that Government helps to facilitate the accelerated development of the Ahafo Region, a region with considerable deposits of natural resources.
According to President Akufo-Addo, “with the Ahafo Region home to large deposits of gold, diamond, iron-ore and bauxite, and with significant percentage of the nation’s food produce coming from here, the potential for development clearly exists.”
He indicated that, with the creation of the Ahafo Region, “Residents of Ahafo are of the firm belief that there would be better access to government institutions, better population-to-service ratios, enhanced employment and increased socio-economic activities, and increased investment opportunities.”
President Akufo-Addo made this known on Wednesday, February 13, when he presented the Constitutional Instrument (C.I. 114) signifying the creation of the Ahafo Region.
Addressing the gathering, made up of Chiefs, elders and members from the new Region, President Akufo-Addo noted that, within one week of the declaration of the Referendum in Ahafo, he constituted a 7-member Government Committee, chaired by the Minister for Regional Re-organisation and Development, Hon. Dan Botwe, MP, to plan and oversee the rapid development of the Ahafo Region, and the five other newly-created regions.
“In the President’s 2019 Budget Statement, an amount of GH¢20 million has been allocated as seed capital for the smooth takeoff of the Ahafo Region,” the President added.
The President told the gathering that, until the appointment of a substantive Regional Minister for Ahafo, he has asked the current Regional Minister for Brong-Ahafo, Hon. Evans Opoku-Bobie, MP for Asunafo North, to act as caretaker Minister.
“Goaso has also been chosen as the capital of the Ahafo Region. I want to assure residents of the Region, however, that Government projects and structures will be equitably spread across the Region,” he added.
See photos below:
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Rearing for food and jobs will develop livestock industry – Akufo-Addo
- EMYs honours British High Commissioner for Dev't achievements across Africa
- Govt can’t sack CEOs – Supreme Court declares
- Minority Leader urges EC to publish registered voters daily
- Despite Group affiliate apologises to Ibrahim Mahama
- EPA works to promote inter-institutional coordination
- Volta NDC women, MTN celebrate Rawling's 72nd birthday
- Female representation in Parliament still low – Majority Leader laments
- Video: Africa's problem is leadership - John Maxwell speaks on Joy FM
- Suit challenging legality of Ayawaso West Wuogon by-election dismissed
- District Assembly rejects 2018 League Table after scoring zero
- President peddled false energy debt figures in Canada - Minority
- Female MPs must go unchallenged in NDC primaries - Minority Leader
- Amidu takes responsibility for defects in Ayariga's charge sheet
- Ofosu-Ampofo is being investigated for kidnapping of Indian - NDC