Audio By Carbonatix
The Association of Private Clinics has disputed claims by government that the outstanding 15 months of the National Health Insurance Scheme (NHIS) debt has been settled.
Spokesperson of the Association, Samuel Donkor Boachie, said members who are owed by the government are yet to receive any monies from the outstanding payment.
“As we talk right now, we still have outstanding debt from 2016 up to 2018. There is four months backlog of debt from 2016, five months unpaid from 2017 and nothing has been paid for 2018,” he told Joy News Monday.
President Nana Akufo-Addo had said his administration is gradually reviving the NHIS, which was struggling under the John Mahama government due to indebtedness.
He disclosed that “of the ¢1.2 billion debt we [government] inherited, the equivalent of $300 million, we[government] have paid, in the last 15 months, ¢1 billion, the equivalent of $250 million.”

Related: Gov’t clears ¢1b out of ¢1.2b NHIS inherited debt
He added that payments to service providers, since his government took office in January 2017 had been consistent.
As a result, “the Scheme is regaining its effectiveness so that for a minimum amount, subscribers can have access to a wide range of medical services.”
But in a quick reaction, Mr Boachie Donkor said the assertion is untrue.
“Where is the debt that government claims it has cleared? If Nana Akufo-Addo has paid, then we are pleading with him to contact the person government paid the monies to as it has not reached us,” he said.
According to him, they are yet to receive any money as payment for the backlog and current debt which is impacting negatively on their businesses.
“The picture is bad, our clinics are collapsing, if they do not pay us, maybe by next month we will all close down because we have no money to buy drugs.
“We do not have money to pay utilities like ECG, salaries and other costs…nothing at all is going on as machines at our facilities have broken down…” he added.
Latest Stories
-
Inter-Agency Football Gala: YEA organize event as part of National Youth Month celebration
1 hour -
Receiver fights High Court order to hand over No.1 Oxford Street Hotel to Cheddar’s company
2 hours -
NSMQ 2026: St. Francis Xavier deny debutants Pentecost SHS one-eighth spot
2 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Tamale SHS sweep aside Kalpohin, Wenchi Methodist to reach one-eighth stage
2 hours -
Heart of the Beast to Practical Magic 2: 10 of the best films to watch this September
3 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Tears of relief as Labone SHS survive Notre Dame Sem. in thriller to secure one-eighth spot
3 hours -
Onga Tomato Mix unveils Diana Hamilton as Brand Ambassador
3 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Winneba Secondary School holds off Fijai SHS to reach one-eighth stage
3 hours -
KNUST assures staff, public over statute review process amid UTAG concerns
3 hours -
CLOGSAG Executive Secretary Dr Isaac Bampoe Addo passes on
4 hours -
Take post-flood disinfection seriously to prevent disease outbreaks – Environmental Health Officer backs Zoomlion
4 hours -
Zoomlion launches fumigation exercise across 14 MMDAs in Western Region
4 hours -
UTAG-KNUST votes to retain elections for Pro-Vice Chancellors and Deans
4 hours -
Newsfile to discuss nationwide blackouts, GoldBod controversy, galamsey and water quality
4 hours -
Adamus must settle GRA, MIIF and financial institutions liabilities under new turnaround roadmap
4 hours