Historian Professor Kofi Anyidoho says the celebrated poet and politician, Professor Kofi Awoonor who died in a terrorist attack in Kenya was an ancestral warlord who died on the battle field.
The spokesperson for the Awoonor family was explaining why the slain former Chairman of the Council of State was born with a scar on his forehead.
He was speaking at a short ceremony at the Kotoka International Airport, Accra, to receive the mortal remains of Professor Kofi Awoonor. It was attended by politicians, friends and family members.
Professor Kofi Anyidoho revealed that close associates of the late former chair of the Council of State would notice this scar.
The Professor of Literature at the University of Ghana said elders of the family enquired from their ancestors which of them was reborn as Kofi Awoonor.
The elders were told Kofi Awoonor, was “a brave man who had died in battle” and suggested the scar was a sign of that ancestor, he said.
Prof. Anyidoho also revealed “no more than 250 people” will be attending a private funeral for the late Awoonor.
“I will be difficult” he said but that was his wish.
Nonetheless, a public state event will be organised on Friday 11 October 2013 to allow members of the public to pay tribute to Professor Awoonor.
Professor Kofi Awoonor was among 62 others who were killed in the September 2013 attack on the Westgate Shopping Mall in Nairobi, Kenya.
The well-known poet started writing under the name George Awoonor-Williams.
- Man arrested for threatening to release nude videos of late brother’s wife
- ‘I’m extremely regretful’ – KiDi apologises for ‘inappropriate and unkind’ old tweets
- Mankessim murder: Accused persons allegedly confess to killing 2 more people
- Every single day Akufo-Addo remains President, the country drifts into peril – Dr Amoako Baah
- SIM re-registration: National Security has warned Akufo-Addo against blockage – Deputy Minority Whip
- My husband left me for a ‘sugar mummy’ after 9 months of marriage – Woman shares experience
- 2 sustain gunshot wounds at mining firm in Samreboi
- Police confirm another murder orchestrated by Mankessim suspects
- Banking Sector Clean-up: We should have allowed institutional disciplines to work – Alhassan Andani
- Hosts Ghana clash with Nigeria in MEA Rugby League Championship final
- BoG must review policy rate increases; economy not responding –Alhassan Andani
- There is no blueprint and formula for identifying football talents in Ghana – Faisal Chibsah
- Prosecution is an attempt to tarnish his reputation – Danadams Pharmaceuticals CEO lawyers
- Thomas Partey included in Arsenal squad to face Tottenham Hotspur
- Woman kills former landlord with hammer, steals $40k through forged checks
- Labour MP suspended, apologises after calling Chancellor Kwasi Kwarteng ‘superficially’ black
- Video of alleged ‘galamsey’ men in gun battle with authorities emerges on social media
- GRA set to roll out E-invoicing from tomorrow October 1
- US-based Oakley signs agreement with Benjamin Azamati
- 16 suspects arrested over shooting incident at Asaman Tamfoe
- Ivory Coast raises cocoa farmgate price by 9% for 2022/2023 harvest
- Pact with Rabat is in force and being implemented – Head of Spanish Diplomacy
- Good Morning America celebrates Ghana as host Robin Roberts explores the country
- MultiChoice teams up with BetKing to launch SuperPicks for new football season