Audio By Carbonatix
Rafael Nadal has withdrawn from his Wimbledon semi-final against Nick Kyrgios with an abdominal injury.
The Spanish second seed received treatment on the injury during his quarter-final against Taylor Fritz on Wednesday but pushed through the pain to win in five sets.
"I have tried a lot of times in my career to keep going but it is obvious the injury will get worse," he said.
Kyrgios will play Novak Djokovic or Cameron Norrie in Sunday's final.
Nadal confirmed he has a tear in his abdominal muscle which meant he would not be able to be competitive over two matches.
The Spaniard had practised at Wimbledon away from the media earlier on Thursday.
Nadal had strapping on his abdomen during his fourth-round match but was in visible pain from the injury against Fritz.
He took a medical time-out during the match and ignored calls from his dad and sister to quit before somehow rallying to win.
His serve was noticeably affected by the injury and he was downcast during his post-match media commitments.
The 36-year-old was a doubt for Wimbledon in general because of a chronic foot condition.
Latest Stories
-
Government sets up team to negotiate VALCO strategic partnership
59 minutes -
Ghana clears upstream disputes as $3.5bn investment pipeline takes shape
1 hour -
Land dispute turns deadly as man is allegedly stabbed with scissors at Achiase
2 hours -
Muntaka orders police to crush vigilantism, unauthorised ‘self-defence’ groups
2 hours -
Kingsley Agyemang donates medical equipment, pays patients’ bills at Kyebi Hospital
3 hours -
‘The Big Push is pushing’ – Upper West MPs hail contractors delivering in the region
4 hours -
Dorimon E-Block project nears completion after decade-long stall
4 hours -
GTA 6 leaks – a nightmare or a blip for the biggest video game of the year?
5 hours -
Two injured in stabbing attack at Canada Sikh temple
5 hours -
Modi spent years building his strong image – why is he making Gen Z reels now?
5 hours -
Canada ‘should fight’ as US trade deadline looms, Manitoba premier says
6 hours -
Man Utd agree £70m fee for Brighton’s Baleba
6 hours -
Inter-Agency Football Gala: YEA organize event as part of National Youth Month celebration
6 hours -
Receiver fights High Court order to hand over No.1 Oxford Street Hotel to Cheddar’s company
6 hours -
Partey begins new chapter in Saudi Arabia with Al Shabab
6 hours