Twitter is testing a feature that will allow some tweets to disappear after 24 hours, it announced on Wednesday.
The new feature called “fleets” is similar to vanishing posts on Snapchat and Instagram Stories.
The changes prompted the hashtag #RIPTwitter to trend as users complained the new feature would make the micro-blogging site too similar to other social media platforms.
So far Twitter is only testing the function in Brazil.
Kayvon Beykpour, the company’s product lead, said the new feature would allow people to post thoughts they might have felt uncomfortable sharing publicly.
He said posting on Twitter can feel “permanent and performative” which can intimidate some users.
“We’re hoping that Fleets can help people share the fleeting thoughts that they would have been unlikely to Tweet,” he wrote in a seven-part post on Twitter.
The vanishing messages will appear when a user’s profile picture is clicked. Users will not be able to reply, like, or publicly comment on any of the disappearing messages.
Some Twitter users made plain their reservations.
Mr Beykpour acknowledged that Fleets did sound a lot like the Stories features from Facebook and Instagram. He said Twitter was making a “few intentional differences” to its version.
The company did not say when Fleets would be rolled out globally.
- Court of Appeal dismisses application of Assin North and Jomoro MPs
- Where is our ‘East Legon’? – Agbogbloshie residents chase Bawumia to honour promise
- Some clauses in Sputnik Vaccine Contract were skewed and biased against government – Attorney General
- Anti-LGBTQI: Don’t subject yourself to colonialism – Foh-Amoaning advises Gabby Otchere-Darko over ‘blacklist’ comment
- Top 100 hospitals health workers in Ghana prefer to be treated in
- We’re being humiliated, insulted and deprived of our rights – Ga-Dangme people petition Akufo-Addo
- Police brutality: Latif Iddrisu in USA for treatment following persistent relapses
- Sack GFA cameraman who made Ashgold vrs Allies footage public – Eleven Wonders Coach
- Anti-LGBTQI+ Bill: Sponsors shouldn’t pay attention to irrelevant attacks on them – Rev Opuni-Frimpong
- Greater Accra Regional Minister intensifies ‘Make Accra work’ campaign by demolishing illegal structures
Ejura Probe: Ministerial Committee submits findings to Interior Minister
We abhor hooligans, Bibiani will be a home for opponents – Gold Stars CEO
Privileges Committee sets August 5 for hearing against Kennedy Agyapong
Henry Quartey demands transfer of Ayawaso Central Municipal Environmental Health Officer
FBNBank celebrates Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability Week
Duraplast partners Zipline in blood donation drive
Parliament’s Privileges Committee divided over next step in Kennedy Agyapong contempt case
2 kids burnt to death at Moshie Zongo in Kumasi
Pat Thomas’ ‘I Can Say’ featured in Marvel’s ‘Loki’
African countries urged to accelerate E-band planning to build Africa’s digital future
Huawei Cloud ranked world’s 5th largest Infrastructure as a Service provider
UN Food Summit in Rome: Smallholder farmers in Ghana to get a boost
GAEC to train Radiographers in radiation protection and safety
Acting has always been one of my talents – Patapaa
Sports Minister inspires Ghanaian Olympians to make Ghana and themselves proud