Audio By Carbonatix
Cristiano Ronaldo is close to agreeing a new contract with Saudi Arabian club Al-Nassr, Saudi sources have told BBC Sport.
The 40-year-old Portugal captain's deal was due to expire at the end of June, but sources indicate a two-year extension is close to being finalised.
Ronaldo posted on social media "the chapter is over" following the Riyadh club's final Saudi Pro League game of the season last month, leading to speculation he was set to leave.
Fifa president Gianni Infantino then raised the prospect of him joining a team involved at the Club World Cup after Al-Nassr's failure to qualify for the extended tournament which is being held in the United States.
Ronaldo said he had received offers from participating teams but had turned them down.
Having helped Portugal win the Uefa Nations League two weeks ago, the former Manchester United, Real Madrid and Juventus forward appears to have decided to stay in Saudi Arabia, and is said to be considering making his own sports investments in the Gulf nation.
Ronaldo joined Al-Nassr in 2023 after the termination of his deal with Manchester United.
He has scored 99 goals in 111 appearances for the Saudi club, including 35 in 41 matches last term, claiming the league's Golden Boot award for top scorer.
Earlier on Wednesday, Al-Nassr parted company with Italian manager Stefano Pioli after less than a year in charge.
The ex-AC Milan boss led them to a third-placed finish last season in the Saudi top flight, where they finished 13 points behind champions Al-Ittihad.
"Thanks for everything," Ronaldo wrote in a message on social media following news of Pioli's exit, with the 59-year-old set to take charge of former club Fiorentina.
BBC Sport has contacted Ronaldo's representatives for comment.
Latest Stories
-
Photos: Merck Foundation honours Lordina Mahama as Ambassador for decade of humanitarian impact
6 minutes -
Heath Goldfields’ return brings relief to families in Bogoso-Prestea after two years of hardship
18 minutes -
MTN Ghana rolls out SME Business Clinic in Koforidua to drive digital transformation
31 minutes -
Stakeholders demand demolition of encroaching structures around Wa Airport over rising wildlife threats
35 minutes -
“For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord” – Nduom celebrates court victory
36 minutes -
TDC, GIADEC and ARISE IIP join forces to advance Tema Industrial Park project
37 minutes -
MTN Ghana calls for reforms to tackle risks facing local businesses
41 minutes -
Minority accuses Foreign Affairs Minister of sidestepping Parliament over foreign agreements
48 minutes -
Trade Minister leads high-level mission to China to woo investors
51 minutes -
Quo Warranto: High Court adjourns OSP’s Stay of Execution application
52 minutes -
Nene James Tetteh Asigbey III
55 minutes -
Sportswear brand On introduces OAC Sprint, its first professional sprint team
56 minutes -
Salaga: Family counts losses after domestic fire outbreak
58 minutes -
Ghana declares ‘Open for Business’ at inaugural Russia-Ghana dialogue in Kazan
1 hour -
CBG launches agency banking drive ‘Sika Agent’, targets 8,000 agents by 2028
2 hours