Just hours into the Ayawaso West Wuogon by-election at the La Bawalashie Presby polling station Thursday, Joy News has confirmed that shots have been fired at the location. Photos obtained by Myjoyonline purport to show blood stains and bullet holes at the station’s grounds.
According to Joy News’ Roland Walker, several dozen security detail wearing black masks and shirts labelled NSC (National Security Council) stormed inside the polling station and began firing shots. The shots lasted 20 minutes. Police intervened as the personnel attacked what is suspected to be NDC activists.
Chairman of the NDC, Samuel Ofosu-Ampofo, told Daniel Dadzie on the Super Morning Show that at least six people have been critically injured and have been sent to Legon Hospital. Others have been sent to 37 Military Hospital.
Video: Shots fired as tensions rise in Ayawaso by-election
Meanwhile, MP for Prampram, Sam Dzata George posted online that he had just been assaulted by several members of the NPP Invicible Forces. He claims that they were wearing NSC shirts as well. George later added that two victims are dead and one is injured.
“[George] is traumatized. When I went to his home he was in the bedroom and couldn’t even move. I don’t understand why people would do this,” Ofosu-Ampofo said.
Video: Member of Parliament for Ningo Prampram, Sam George assaulted
Joy News cannot independently confirm the number of those dead or injured.
- ECG releases ‘dumsor’ timetable; outages to begin May 10
- NDC suspects doctoring of Techiman South election summary sheets
- Stolen ring causes teenager’s finger to rot at Pantang
- We’re running into a credibility problem – Kunbour on unanswered calls for NDC’s election 2020 collated figures
- ECG to announce ‘dumsor’ timetable for works on Pokuase BSP
- Kasoa Opeikuma businessman killers arrested at Buduburam
- Contracts awarded to Zoomlion, Frontiers Healthcare Solution, others were in breach of procurement practices – Report
- Kunbour mustn’t behave like a serial caller – Ade Coker
- Kasoa ritual killing: State charges 2 teenage suspects with murder
- Kotoko to pay Maxwell Konadu $41,000 for breach of contract
Super League: Liverpool owner John W Henry apologises to fans
GNAT asks government to release textbooks based on new curriculum for teachers and pupils
World reacts to death of Chad President Idriss Deby
Senyo Hosi: When shall we breathe?
Meet 2 life-changing health professionals in Northern Ghana
The beauty ideal fuelling an illicit drugs trade
Dental trauma: What to know and what to do
Murder suspect claims he mistook aeronautical engineer for a pig at Akyem Asuboa
Meet the midwife driving a ‘Wooden Door Ambulance’ to save lives
Egyptian railways boss sacked after deadly crash
Queen marks her 95th birthday today without Prince Philip
Stop conniving with Chinese to destroy rivers and water bodies – Sanitation Minister
Today’s front pages: Wednesday, April 21, 2021
How farmers in Upper East are adopting Agroecology farming methods
SSNIT sets records straight on Weija lands ownership