Police in South Africa are investigating two murder cases after an ally of King Misuzulu ka Zwelithini and a bodyguard were shot dead.
Prince Mbongiseni Zulu, a senior member of the royal family was one of the people who helped the king ascend to the throne.
Provincial police spokesperson Jay Naicker told the BBC that the men were killed by two unknown suspects in KwaNongoma, northern KwaZulu-Natal where they were apparently visiting family.
“We are investigating a motive and won’t speculate on whether it’s succession related,” he said.
Local media are reporting that Prince Zulu is the third ally of the newly crowned king to be killed in recent months, those other cases are still being investigated.
King Misizulu’s ascension was hotly contested, with some members of the family challenging his appointment as king.
Reacting to the shooting, Nongoma Mayor Thulasizwe Buthelezi said they are “shocked and heartbroken”, TimesLive news site reports.
“We appeal to the police to bring the criminals to book urgently,” it quotes him as saying.
Prince Zulu was also a local political leader, serving under opposition party Inkatha Freedom Party (IFP).
- Cost of fuel: Ghanaians must pay fair market prices – PUMA Energy President
- 3 grabbed for pulling down storey building at Cantonments
- Gospel musician accuses police of killing her brother in a scuffle over cash
- South Africa calls on MTN, Ghana to resolve $773m tax dispute
- Pay Toure over ¢100k within 45 days or face transfer ban – FIFA orders Medeama
- Minority leadership rancour is a needless distraction – Okudzeto Ablakwa
- Afia Schwarzenegger fined GH¢60k in contempt case
- Ghana places 72nd, stagnates in 2022 Corruption Perceptions Index
- Chicago prosecutor drops R Kelly’s sex-abuse charges
- Leicester City sign Ghanaian youngster Nathan Opoku
- Scores of Burkinabes flee to Ghana following attacks by suspected terrorists
- U.S. and Ghana governments partner to improve fish standards
- Herbert O. A. Quaynor
- National Tenants Union commends government for Implementing Rental Assistance Scheme
- Rail Robotics Club commissioned in Dormaa Senior High School
- Deadline for Domestic Debt Exchange Programme extended to Feb 7
- My ‘Aso’ song was inspired by a friend but it later happened to me – Kwabena Kwabena
- Football transfers: Kamaldeen Sulemana chooses Southampton over Everton
- Xornametor Foundation constructs 3-unit pavilion for CK Korpe community
- Housemate to be charged over murder of LGBTQ activist
- Founders and chancellors of private universities announce name for new association
- National Cathedral: Board of Trustees should be dissolved and forensic audit conducted – Ablakwa
- Abolish protocol system in the CSSPS – Ablakwa
- Debt level is troubling; government must cut expenditure – Prof. Peprah
- Priscilla Aseye Febiri: 2023 top trends & insights about Influencer Marketing