Audio By Carbonatix
South Africa's police have launched a manhunt for an alleged "kingpin", who is accused of controlling operations at an abandoned gold mine where 78 corpses were discovered last week.
The police force said officials had helped James Neo Tshoaeli, a Lesotho national also known as Tiger, to escape after he was pulled up from the mine in Stilfontein.
More than 240 illegal miners were brought up alive from the mine after it had been blockaded for months by the police.
Officers had cut off food and water supplies in an attempt to force them out of the mine.
Some of the miners accused Mr Tshoaeli of being responsible for "deaths, assault and torture" underground, a police statement said on Monday.
Mr Tshoaeli is also alleged to have hoarded and kept food away from the other miners, many of whom appeared emaciated and weak when they surfaced from the shaft.
Police commissioner Patrick Asaneng warned that "heads will roll" once they find the officials who helped Mr Tshoaeli escape, the police statement said.
In a candid appearance on the South African channel Newzroom Afrika, police spokesperson Athlenda Mathe said the force was "disappointed" and "embarrassed".
Ms Mathe said an investigation into the escape has been launched and that the probe would start with the police "looking internally".
After months when access to the mine shaft in Stilfontein was blocked, a court ordered the government to facilitate last week's rescue operation.
On Thursday, as the rescue came to an end, Ms Mathe said it would be a "mammoth task" to identify the 78 bodies that were recovered - partly because many of them were undocumented migrants.
The miners had been underground since November last year, when police launched nationwide operations targeting illicit mining.
Thousands of illegal miners, known as "zama zamas" ("those who try their luck" in Zulu), operate in mineral-rich South Africa.
The mine in Stilfontein - some 145km (90 miles) south-west of Johannesburg - has now been cleared of both bodies and people alive, the police have said.
A trade union and rights activists have accused the authorities of overseeing a "massacre".
But the police have defended their actions, saying that they were dealing with criminality and it was the kingpins in charge of the illicit mining who were controlling the flow of supplies and trying to prevent people from resurfacing.
Latest Stories
-
Meko Bono 2026: Vice President pledges agricultural revival as Atebubu hosts grand homecoming
46 minutes -
Russian skydiver Sergey Boytcov sets world record with 11,551-metre stratosphere jump
49 minutes -
Ablakwa-led committee submits five reports to Mahama ahead of 2027 AU chairmanship
55 minutes -
Africa not seeking Western cash in reparations campaign – Ablakwa
1 hour -
Production decline, reserve depletion threaten Ghana’s upstream sector – Jinapor
1 hour -
Surveyors caution against treating compensation disputes as professional misconduct
1 hour -
Mahama calls for AU dialogue on migration after South Africa xenophobic tensions
1 hour -
I haven’t experienced any envy in the gospel music industry — Ohemaa Mercy
3 hours -
Prayer does not solve everything — Ohemaa Mercy
3 hours -
New PURC office symbolises stronger consumer protection – Dr Jinapor
4 hours -
Rev. Wengam re-elected Assemblies of God, Ghana General Superintendent
4 hours -
Less than 20km of clearing left to connect Accra-Kumasi Expressway to Kumasi – Agbodza
4 hours -
US judge strikes down policy suspending immigrant visa processing for 75 nations
4 hours -
MCEs collecting fees from galamseyers are facilitating illegality – Ken Ashigbey
4 hours -
Developer LMI Holdings commits to completing first 700 Saglemi housing units
4 hours