Speaker of Parliament, Prof. Mike Ocquaye, has suspended sitting again, the second in three days over a persisting issue of absenteeism.
By business time 10am, Wednesday's sitting had only 43 MPs on the floor of the House when at least 91 MPs are needed to constitute a quorum.
After Adaklu MP, Kwame Agbodza drew the attention of the Speaker to the lack of quorum in the 275-strong parliament, he suspended sitting expressing a rehashed worry about the commitment of the MPs.
"Honorable members, we must be careful about the reputation of this honorable house. We come to work; we don't get the numbers."
"If that is the attitude you want to adopt, let us tell Ghanaians," he complained.
Last Monday, only 18 MPs showed up for work, an improvement over the seven MPs who were present in the chamber for the October 31 sitting which was also suspended.
It appears the MPs are mentally on holidays with Christmas festivities barely a week away.
Not even media attention to the poor attendance last Monday served to boost attendance rate. A civil society group Odekro named 43 MPs it says failed to attend to their duties in parliament for 15 consecutive sittings.
The sanctions for missing that many sittings include forfeiting the seat.
- Peter Nanfuri’s name will be written in gold in Ghana’s history – Akufo-Addo eulogizes former IGP
- Social media reacts to Bawumia’s ‘One student, One laptop’ announcement
- NPP group in Ashanti angry with Napo over his ‘anti-party’ comments
- Playback: Akufo-Addo addressed Ghanaians on Covid-19, IMF
- ‘This too has passed’ – Akufo-Addo on Covid-19 pandemic
- Stop insulting citizens if you want to be president again – Nana Akomea tells Mahama
- IMF bailout won’t immediately end Ghana’s difficulties – Akufo-Addo
- Independent Power Producers reject government bid to restructure $1.58bn debt
- Don’t join NPP if you don’t believe in ‘Development in freedom’ motto – Pianim
- Independent Power Producers threaten to cut power supply by June 30
- I either stay objective on Sarkodie issues or go silent – Kobby Kyei
- NPP flagbearership race: Supporters pick form for Dr Afriyie Akoto
- Yamoah Cadman wraps up 2023 NCAA-II outdoor season as All-American, other Ghanaians impress
- UBA Ghana shares its rich culture on Africa Day
- Ghana records 1,462 Covid-19 related deaths in three years
- Ken Addy worried live musical instruments will fade out
- Barca legends Alba, Busquets bid emotional farewell to Camp Nou
- Supreme Court dismisses land ownership claim by Teshie family
- Edem Agbana commends Adentan and Ring-Road Central Rotaract clubs for their donation to Tadzewu M/A Basic School
- Ashanti Region Super Zonals: OKESS and St. Louis triumph as T.I Ahmadiyya lose top spots
- Fitch Solutions maintains 2.9% growth rate forecast for Ghana 2023
- Let’s unite to remove E-levy, Covid-19 levy – Ablakwa urges MPs
- Review of flagship programmes: Let’s not touch Free SHS – Kwame Pianim
- Joseph Paintsil scores brace as Genk cruise past Club Brugge
- Turkish election victory for Erdogan leaves nation divided