Audio By Carbonatix
It's been raging for months, and the discussions as to whether the Black Stars bonuses be slashed continue.
The latest is that Ghana's sports minister says his outfit have not taken any decision on whether to proceed. But he's hinted the team could receive less the $10,000 usually paid.
Widespread media reports indicate that the Sports Ministry after a meeting with the Ghana FA executives last week told the FA to inform the players of their decision to pay them $5000, instead of $10,000 in subsequent games.
This brought enough consternation in the camp to the extent that forced captain Asamoah Gyan to voice his concern about the possible reduction.
“To tell you the truth I am quite upset with this,” Gyan had told Montie FM in Accra. “I think it is an issue against personalities. We as footballers should also be considered as workers and after a hard day’s work, one needs to get paid.
The skipper will lead the troops in a double header with Comoros on Friday and next week Tuesday as the World Cup qualifiers continue.
“I don’t think when I hang up my boots and fall sick I will go into the offices of a minister and say because I played for the national team he should give me money to take care of my medical expenses."
“We are not slaves so such things cannot be enforced in the manner in which I hear it is being enforced,” he added.

But the minister, Mustapha Ahmed, stated there is no law which prescribes how much the team should be paid. “I don’t think there is any law that prescribes how much should be paid to the Black Stars. It is driven by the ability to pay so when you are going through challenges, you want to look back and see if you can reason up with your partners,” said Dr Ahmed.
“There is nothing that is written or cast in stone but it is a matter of concern to us that for quite a number of months we have not been able to get the money to pay them their bonuses. So would it be fair to continue to promise them that you will get $10,000 when you are unable to pay that?”
“So that is the conversation perhaps we need to have with the GFA and the playing body but no firm decision has been taken yet.”
Public opinion continues to be split on the matter, with many feeling that the Stars' inability to win major silverware since 1982 does not help their cause.
But a section of the public also feel that constructive dialogue must be employed in dealing with the players, rather than the seeming take-it-or-leave-it arbitrary approach the government sometimes prefers.
- Follow Joy Sports on Twitter: @Joy997FM. Our hashtag is #JoySports
Latest Stories
-
Wontumi Out, COKA In: How NPP’s new Ashanti chairman differs from his predecessor
1 hour -
With unity, we will win 2028 election – Bawumia
1 hour -
‘The restoration begins’ – Okoe Boye pledges to rebuild NPP in Greater Accra
2 hours -
Ghana, Netherlands deepen cooperation to tackle illicit drug trade
2 hours -
One dead, eight injured in head-on crash on Kasoa–Winneba Road
2 hours -
Cedi stages strong recovery as dollar supply improves, demand eases
2 hours -
Duncan-Williams warns galamsey could endanger Ghana’s future generations
2 hours -
Fire ravages wooden structures at Tantra Hill’s Golden Door area
2 hours -
Petrol prices to drop today with diesel up in mixed pump price review
2 hours -
Okoe Boye will help NPP win more seats in Greater Accra – Bawumia
2 hours -
I am open to work with everyone to win 2028 — Bawumia
2 hours -
Peace, security practitioners tasked to deepen stakeholder collaboration
2 hours -
Public pay system must balance fair wages with fiscal sustainability – Government
2 hours -
Niharika Handa makes history as King Faisal’s first female Board Chair
2 hours -
Gov’t disburses GH¢23.1bn to clear road contractors’ arrears – Roads Minister
2 hours