The 32nd edition of the Africa Cup of Nations gets underway on Friday, June 21 in Egypt.
#JoyAFCON will be your reference point from kickoff to full time. And now, how well do you know the tournament? Sakyibea Ofori tests your pulse.
1. Which country hosted the first ever AFCON?
Answer: Sudan – The first AFCON tournament took place in 1957 with Sudan as the host nation
2. Aside Ghana and Nigeria, which other West African country has won the AFCON trophy?
Answer: Cote D’Ivoire has won the trophy twice in 1992 and 2015
3. Four teams were scheduled to take part in the first ever AFCON in 1957, however one team was disqualified due to the country’s apartheid policies. Which team was that?
Answer: South Africa – They planned to play the competition with only white men
4. Who scored the first ever goal of this tournament?
4. Adamu Alemu
Answer: Raafat Attia – He scored a penalty against Sudan in 1957
5. Which African country has made it to the quarterfinals of the world cup but has failed to win the AFCON trophy?
Answer: Senegal has never won the trophy before. Their best result of the competition was in 2002 were the came us first runner ups.
6. Which team is making its debut at the tournament this year?
Answer: Burundi – They qualified for their first ever AFCON after their 1-1 draw with Gabon on the final day of qualifiers.
7. How many teams are making their first appearance in this competition?
Answer: Three – Mauritania, Burundi and Madagascar are debutants for this years’ AFCON
8. Two teams have won the title without conceding a goal, who are they?
1.Egypt and Mali
2.Cote D’Ivoire and Cameroon
3.Ghana and Algeria
4.Nigeria and Morocco
Answer: Cote D’Ivoire and Cameroon - Cote D’Ivoire won the title in 1992 after their opponents failed to score against them, Cameroon repeated this record in 2002
9. The first country to win the title is currently the most successful team in AFCON history. Which team is that?
Answer: Egypt – They have won the title a record of seven times
10. What happened in 1970 in the history of the competition?
The tournament was held in two countries
The competition was televised (For the first time, the tournament was aired on TV with Sudan hosting.
Two countries were disqualified
South Africa won the trophy
11. Which player scored the 1000th goal in this contest?
Answer: Jay-Jay Okocha – He scored a penalty in the 24th edition of the African Cup of Nations Championship which was held in Tunisia
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Herve Renard resigns as Morocco coach
- Sports Minister to brief parliament on AFCON2019
- Bale 'very close' to exit - Zinedine Zidane.
- AFCON 2019: The tournament of the underdog
- Man Utd reject Inter Milan's £54m Lukaku bid
- The #JoyAFCON Team of the Tournament
- Senegal 0-1 Algeria: Five things we learned
- Algeria win Africa Cup of Nations with fortuitous early goal
- Parliament: Sports Minister summoned to explain poor AFCON showing
- 'I'd swap Champions League medal for Afcon' - Mane
- BHOBU-POGA Health Walk slated for July 20
- Senegal v Algeria: kick-off time, team news, head to head, form and more
- Ghana to face South Africa in AFCON 2021 qualifying
- Amaju Pinnick dismissed as Caf vice-president
- Mikel Obi retires from international football