Africa’s leading Pay-Tv service operator StarTimes was honoured at this year’s Sports Writers’ Association of Ghana (SWAG) awards.
StarTimes, the official broadcaster of the Ghana Premier League was awarded for its relentless contribution towards sports development in Ghana.
The SWAG Awards which is in the 45th edition is the longest-running sports awards in Ghana and conferred honours on over 30 sportsmen and women in the country. Within the past four years, StarTimes has invested millions of dollars into sports in Ghana.
In November 2016, StarTimes signed a groundbreaking $17.9m deal with the GFA to acquire media rights for the Ghana Premier League, the Gala, the National Division One League, the MTN FA Cup, the Ghana Women’s League and the Ghana Juvenile League.
StarTimes also partnered Asanted Kotoko with TV production for their CAF Confederations Cup games to give their teeming fans across the globe access to live continental games.
In 2019, StarTimes re-acquired broadcasting rights of the Ghana Premier League in a 5-year deal worth $5.25m.
StarTimes invested heavily in an ultra-modern Outside Broadcast (OB) Van as well as the latest sports broadcast solutions and software which brought the image of the Ghana Premier League to international standards.
Ghanaian football fans were served with high quality coverage which is in HD with supreme graphics never seen before in the history of broadcasting matches in Ghana.
SWAG recognized the immense contribution of StarTimes towards sports development and promotion with the prestigious award.
StarTimes is the leading digital-TV operator in Africa, serving 13 million DVB subscribers and 20 million OTT users in 30+ countries.
- Former Minister for Monitoring and Evaluation, Dr Akoto Osei dies aged 64
- 2 Ghanaian students honoured for topping West Africa in 2022 WASSCE
- Bridget Otoo’s horrifying story of how her car was nearly snatched on Tema motorway
- AFCON 2023Q: Chris Hughton opens Black Stars camp with 8 players
- Police probe Prof Frimpong Boateng’s Jubilee House ‘galamsey’ allegations
- GACL settles GH¢10m out of GH¢28m owed ECG; balance to be paid in 2-weeks
- Ofori-Atta leaves for China for crucial debt restructuring negotiations
- ECG recovers GHȼ18.5m out of ȼ46.9m from 3 state institutions
- Avoid mass gatherings, restrict your movements to safe areas – Ghana’s Mission in SA to Ghanaians
- Dismiss hangers-on appointees at Presidency – Asiedu Nketia tells Akufo-Addo
- Today’s front pages: Tuesday, March 21, 2023
- Cedi may record mixed performance to dollar this week
- T-bills auction: Government to raise ¢3.21bn this week
- The South African choir that performed for Queen Victoria
- Stop the arrogance, downsize your government – Fifi Kwetey tells Akufo-Addo
- Akufo-Addo’s government suffering a complete collapse of credibility – Fifi Kwetey
- Akufo-Addo’s government has been the luckiest in terms of resources, they have no excuse – Fifi Kwetey
- IMF lied about Covid-19, Ukraine war being cause of Ghana’s economic woes – Fifi Kwetey
- Akufo-Addo still in campaign mode – Fifi Kwetey
- Reset your priorities – Sammy Gyamfi tells government
- Climate-smart agricultural practices should be linked to household food security – Climate expert
- Accra Visual Arts Week is back
- Let’s generate African data to empower our AI systems – Computer scientist
- Playback: One-on-one with Fifi Kwetey on PM Express
- I won’t let politics destroy our brotherhood – Fred Nuamah on fracas with John Dumelo