Audio By Carbonatix
The Wenchi Municipal Chief Executive (MCE), Dr. Prince Kwakye Afriyie, has described the Subinso-Nchiraa robbery attack which happened on Saturday as unfortunate.
Dr Afriyie, who led the Wenchi Municipal Security Council to the crime scene to learn first-hand what really occurred stated in an interview that it was time to beef up security on the Subinso-Nchiraa road.
On Saturday, February 27, 2021 around 7 pm, armed robbers attacked and shot at taxi cab with registration number GW 4850 X, killing a 25-year old nurse whilst other passengers sustained various injuries.
The driver of the taxi cab who was conveying the four passengers from Subinso to Nchiraa was in critical condition and has been referred to Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital in Kumasi after he also got shot by the robbers in the head.

Dr. Afriyie said “we seems to be facing security challenge on the Subinso, Nchiraa, Nwoase and Wenchi roads but most of the incidents we have recorded were on the Wenchi-Wa highway.
So we have a police patrol team on that road,”. He further explained that Saturday’s robbery attack happened quite a distance from the Wenchi-Wa highway and it was difficult to get a quick response.
“From the security discussion we have had, it will be very difficult to have only one security team gathering intelligence or surveillance on all those areas, coupled with the fact that Wenchi police does not have enough patrol vehicles,” Dr. Afriyie added.
He said in the interim, the assembly has released one of its vehicles to the police so that a patrol team will be dedicated to the Subinso, Nchiraa, Nwoase and Wenchi stretch.
The Wenchi MCE assured that the assembly will work with the Police Administration to get 3 or more vehicles to support the Wenchi District Police Command to curb armed robbery in the area.
According to Dr Afriyie, the robbery incidents that were earlier recorded in the Wenchi Municipality usually happened during the dry season when the cashew business was booming.
“The assembly is ensuring that adequate measures are in put place to encourage the cashew nut merchants to seek police escort anytime they want to move from one point to another,” he emphasised.
The MCE, therefore, appealed to the cashew nut buyers to seek police assistance in transporting their goods to and fro Wenchi Municipal in order to ward off criminals.
He reaffirmed the Wenchi Municipal Security Council’s resolve to get the perpetrators of the Subinso-Nchiraa road robbery to face the law.
At the time of filing this report, driver of the taxi cab with registration number GW 4850 X had been referred to the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital due to his critical condition was pronounced dead later, raising the death toll to two.
Latest Stories
-
David Hundeyin to release documentary on Tanzania election violence coverage
23 minutes -
Photos: President Mahama cuts sod for 24-hour economy market in Bole
1 hour -
Ghana-eligible midfielder Kofi Amoako joins Hamburg from Dynamo Dresden
1 hour -
Mahama commissions Yamoransa Model Lab 13 to advance STEM and digital skills training
1 hour -
Youth Ministry says nearly 90,000 young people are employed under government programmes
3 hours -
Adaklu Mountain now a security zone – Volta Regional Minister
3 hours -
Volta Regional Minister assures PAC of stricter supervision of government projects
3 hours -
Can Parliament enforce its own laws?
4 hours -
ECG announces major transformer upgrade at Batsonaa – see the affected areas
4 hours -
Ghanaian released after 77 days in Burkinabe detention
4 hours -
Football Noise, Economic Silence
4 hours -
Replacing Haruna and Muntaka in Parliament was strategic for Election 2024 – Asiedu Nketia, Osei Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu explain the plot
4 hours -
Security service recruitment medical results to be released next week – Interior Minister
4 hours -
Ghana’s tech prodigies set for Geneva after triumphant ‘Robotics for Good’ national qualifiers
4 hours -
World Bank document shows 27 countries seeking to ensure access to crisis funds
4 hours