Audio By Carbonatix
A prominent Sudanese human rights group has accused the country's army and security forces of torturing people to death and operating "execution chambers".
The Emergency Lawyers group said it had documented hundreds of arrests in the capital, Khartoum. It said that in the "worst cases", some captives had later been found dead with evidence of torture.
The Sudanese army recaptured the city from the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) in March, against which it is fighting a bitter civil war that has killed tens of thousands in two years.
The army did not respond to the BBC's request for comment on Sunday.
Throughout the war, the Emergency Lawyers group has documented atrocities by both the army and the RSF.
In a statement on social media platform X, Emergency Lawyers said it had observed a "dangerous escalation in violations".
Some detainees were arrested at random and taken to large detention centres, the group alleged.
"Their fates range from continued detention in inhumane conditions, trials conducted by security agencies that lack the most basic standards of justice, or release in poor health," the statement said.
"In the worst cases, some are found dead after being killed or declared dead as a result of torture."
The use of torture was common during the oppressive rule of president Omar al-Bashir.
Throughout the current war, the RSF have also been found to have abused and executed prisoners.
The UN Independent International Fact-Finding Mission for the Sudan said in March that both sides were responsible for "a widespread pattern of arbitrary detention, torture and ill-treatment of detainees".
It said both both the RSF and the army had used "rape and other forms of sexual violence, arbitrary arrest and detention, as well as torture and ill-treatment".
The fighting has sparked one of the world's worst humanitarian crises - 12 million people have been forced from their homes and famine has been declared in parts of the country.
Last week, medical charity Doctors Without Borders (MSF) said the war has fuelled the worst cholera outbreak the country has seen in years.
There have been nearly 100,000 cases of the disease and 2,470 deaths over the past year.
Latest Stories
-
Social clubs must become engines of national development – Ace Anan Ankomah
46 seconds -
Harvard appoints former BoG Governor Ernest Addison as senior research fellow
2 minutes -
Sammy Gyamfi warns youth exclusion could threaten mining’s social licence
3 minutes -
Mining communities must not be left without social amenities – Sammy Gyamfi
8 minutes -
National Mining Dialogue 2026: We must remain independent in reporting on mining — GJA President
15 minutes -
Social licence must be reimagined as a development compact with the youth – Sammy Gyamfi
17 minutes -
Give indigenous landowners control to curb irresponsible mining – Dr Nana Kwao Adarkwa
25 minutes -
Interior Minister urges religious leaders to protect Ghana’s tradition of tolerance
26 minutes -
In Pictures: Dignitaries, stakeholders gather for National Mining Dialogue 2026
33 minutes -
BoG inaugurates Financial Advisory Council to drive non-interest banking in Ghana
36 minutes -
Mineral right is a privilege, not an absolute right – Minerals Commission
36 minutes -
Ablakwa seeks Russian support for Africa-led fight against Sahel extremism
48 minutes -
Host mining communities are partners in development, not obstacles – GJA President
50 minutes -
Ghana to sign 5 new petroleum agreements soon – Energy Minister
50 minutes -
GJA President urges Ghana to weigh environmental and social costs alongside mining revenues
1 hour