Audio By Carbonatix
Some irate youth thought to be supporters of the governing New Patriotic Party, have locked up the offices of the National Sports Authority (NSA) in the Northern regional capital, Tamale Monday morning.
Led by a man who identified himself as Karim Abdul Rafiq, the group of party youths say they oppose the supposed reinstatement of the NSA Director, Alhassan Salamatu.
According to Joy News’ Northern regional correspondent Martina Bugri, the Director was part of three other management members who were transferred out of the Northern Regional office of the NSA.
The group, Abdul Rafiq said, includes the notorious militia group, Kandahar Boys, which is affiliated to the governing New Patriotic Party.
The group which has accused the Director, Salamatu, of mismanagement claim they got wind that she had been reinstated.
“All we want is for her to honour her transfer and leave the office,” said Rafiq.
They are also accusing her of using political influence to getting her transfer revoked. “We do not want any of that,” Rafiq demanded.
The group told JoyNews that they would hold on to keys of the premises until the Director honours the transfer.
Martina also reported, the staff of NSA petitioned the Sports Minister and the President against reinstating the embattled Director.
The staff cited alleged embezzlement of funds, fueling disunity among staff as part of the reasons for wanting Salamatu out.
Speaking to the media, the administrator of the NSA in Tamale, Samuel Nii Oblie described the circumstances in which he and the other staff were ousted from the premises.
“We were working and they asked us to get out and they locked the premises afterward,” Nii Oblie said.
According to him, they called the police and informed them about the attack at the offices but 45 minutes later, at the time of the report, the law enforcers were yet to arrive.
Latest Stories
-
Wontumi Out, COKA In: How NPP’s new Ashanti chairman differs from his predecessor
2 hours -
With unity, we will win 2028 election – Bawumia
2 hours -
‘The restoration begins’ – Okoe Boye pledges to rebuild NPP in Greater Accra
2 hours -
Ghana, Netherlands deepen cooperation to tackle illicit drug trade
2 hours -
One dead, eight injured in head-on crash on Kasoa–Winneba Road
2 hours -
Cedi stages strong recovery as dollar supply improves, demand eases
2 hours -
Duncan-Williams warns galamsey could endanger Ghana’s future generations
2 hours -
Fire ravages wooden structures at Tantra Hill’s Golden Door area
2 hours -
Petrol prices to drop today with diesel up in mixed pump price review
2 hours -
Okoe Boye will help NPP win more seats in Greater Accra – Bawumia
2 hours -
I am open to work with everyone to win 2028 — Bawumia
2 hours -
Peace, security practitioners tasked to deepen stakeholder collaboration
3 hours -
Public pay system must balance fair wages with fiscal sustainability – Government
3 hours -
Niharika Handa makes history as King Faisal’s first female Board Chair
3 hours -
Gov’t disburses GH¢23.1bn to clear road contractors’ arrears – Roads Minister
3 hours