Three policemen who allegedly shot dead a 30-year-old suspected Indian hemp smoker at Asuogya, near Apedwa, have been arrested by the Suhum Police.
Kwaku Oteng, the deceased, was said to have attempted to slash the policemen, who had been detailed to arrest him and others now at large on a cocoa farm, when the policemen shot him.
The body of Oteng has been deposited at the Suhum Government Hospital for autopsy, while one of his accomplices, Alex Antwi, who was arrested during the swoop, is currently in cells in Suhum.
The names of the policemen have not been given for security reasons.
According to the Deputy Eastern Regional Police Commander, Mr James Abass Abaa, about 8.30 a.m. on Wednesday, April 24, 2013, the Apedwa Police had information that a group of young men were smoking Indian hemp on the cocoa farm and terrorising people in the area.
He said the station officer dispatched three armed policemen to the scene to apprehend the suspects.
Mr Abaa said when the policemen arrived on the scene, some of the suspects took to their heels, but four of them turned on the policemen, with Oteng wielding a sharpened machete.
He said a struggle ensued between the suspects and the policemen, during which Oteng was said to have threatened to slash the policemen.
Mr Abaa said the policemen, therefore, fired a warning shot to scare Oteng away, but he kept advancing on the policemen with the machete, compelling one of them to shoot him.
In another police swoop at a spot popularly known as “Base” at the Somanya Zongo on Wednesday, 16 young men suspected to be smoking narcotic drugs were arrested.
According to Mr Abaa, the group included Muhamed Saani, 35, said to be a known narcotic drugs peddler who was found with 67 wrappers of a white substance suspected to be cocaine, and Dawutey, who was also carrying a mini sack containing dried leaves believed to be Indian hemp.
He said the suspects had been placed in police cells at Akuse pending further investigations and prosecution.
- Cecilia Dapaah case: Asking Special Prosecutor to quit over ‘frustrations’ wrong – Domelevo
- Cecilia Dapaah case: Current Assets Declaration Law is a joke – Domelovo
- Africa World Airlines marks 11th anniversary with exciting passenger rewards and expansion drive
- #OccupyJulorbiHouse: Roads blocked as protesters march towards Jubilee House
- Cedi remains relatively stable since February 2023; Y-T-D depreciation to dollar stands at 22.5%
- LaLiga: Barcelona beat Celta Vigo after dramatic comeback
- Premier League: Calvert-Lewin helps Everton end winless start against Brentford
- Premier League: Ten-man Man City beat Nottingham Forest despite Rodri red card
- Ghanaian musicians die paupers; GHAMRO, MUSIGA are a mess – D-Black
- #OccupyJulorbiHouse: Policeman sits on the floor to plead with demonstrators to unblock roads
- Cecilia Dapaah case: Let’s tread cautiously as investigations continue – Domelevo
- UEFA awards Mohammed Kudus’ second goal to him after initially declaring it own goal against Backa Topola
- Cecilia Dapaah case: People must guard against contempt in commentary – Gary Nimako
- The Career Trail: Quitting banking for jewellery business; Ella Cadie’s bold career shift
- I’ll release audio recording of Kan Dapaah’s $1m offer to silence me – Barker-Vormawor