The Paramount Chief of Gbledi Traditional Area in the Volta Region, Togbega Homatekpor V, has given the origin of the name ‘Afadjato.’
Afadjato is the highest mountain in Ghana, located on the lands of Gbledi Gbogame and Liati, in the Volta Region. It attracts thousands of tourists across the world every year.
Speaking on the Ghana Month edition of Joy FM‘s ‘Showbiz A-Z’ transmitted live from the foot of the mountain on Saturday, March 11, 2023, Togbega explained how the name came about.
According to him, the original name of the mountain was ‘avadzeto’, meaning a mountain that is shaped like water-yam.
“When our ancestors came to settle at the foot of the mountain, they climbed the mountain and found out there was a leaf that resembled that of a water yam. And then if you look at the mountain, it is of a conical shape. It’s just like a mound. And therefore they thought to name it ‘avadzeto’. ‘Avadze’ means water yam,” he said.
He said later the name was corrupted by foreigners who had difficulty in pronouncing it. It then changed to Afadjato which has since been accepted as the name for the mountain.
The Afadjato edition of ‘Showbiz A-Z, was part of Joy FM’s Ghana Month activities to promote Ghana’s culture in March, the month of Ghana’s independence.
After a successful edition of the outdoor programme in Cape Coast in 2021, there was a encore in Kumasi where the team discovered Asanteman’s rich tourist centres and culture.
The programme also hosted Togbe Adabra IV, Mankrado of Gbledi-Gbogame and the Divisional Chief of Gbledi Tongor / actor; Alexander Kwame Nketia, Volta Regional Director of Ghana Tourism Authority, and Chief Moomen, poet, playwright and creative entrepreneur.
The Acting Chairman of the Afadjato-Tagbo Eco-Tourism Centre, Kuma Gavi, was also on the panel.
Hosted by Kwame Dadzie, the Afadjato edition of the show was powered by Joy Entertainment, supported by Adansi Travels.
- Fuel prices to fall between 2% and 9% from April 1
- Mohammed Kudus not eligible to play at 2023 U-23 AFCON
- Social media reacts to Bagbin’s rant on Kamala Harris and Akufo-Addo’s LGBTQ+ comments
- MP dies after hit-and-run motorcycle crash
- Parliament decriminalises attempted suicide
- Ernest Kobeah pulls out of NDC flagbearership race
- Ghanaian achieves outstanding results in global Finance and Accounting exam
- Take care of yourself, you would be replaced when you die – Speaker to MPs
- #NanaAt79 trends as Ghanaians celebrate Akufo-Addo on his birthday
- McDan’s Salt Company disconnected from national grid over GH¢300k debt
- Shell oil spill: 30k Nigerians seek compensation
- Kamala Harris to discuss Ukraine war with Tanzania leader
- Mathematics is the only understandable global language – Professor Nantomah
- 2022/23 betPawa PL: Hearts of Oak back to winning; Samartex beat Kotoku Royals
- Today’s front pages: Thursday, March 30, 2023
- Prioritise three revenue bills to facilitate IMF programme- BoG Governor to parliament
- Anti-Gay bill has not been diluted – Defeamekpor
- Anti-LGBT bill: It promotes hate crime – Partington
- Government dismisses claims of Gh₵2.3 billion debt owed to Green Ghana seed providers
- Ghana’s integrated aluminium industry on course – Lands Minister
- Anti-LGBT: The President must go for what the people want – Most Rev. Gyamfi
- GES PRO ranked among top 25 public sector PR professionals
- Leila Djansi’s mentee in UNESCO/Netflix project releases movie
- Nana Ansah Kwao IV apologises to Ghanaian youth
- Kelvyn Boy endorses Joy Prime’s Cues & Lyrics music reality show