Transport Minister, Dzifa Ativor says the huge pressure at Ghana’s only International Airport demands that a new international airport is built urgently.
She says aircraft are even struggling to find parking space at the Kotoka International Airport.
She made the comment during an inspection of a land acquired for the construction of a new airport in the Ningo-Prampram District in the Greater Accra region.
“We are here today to indicate to the whole world that the new airport is going to be started very soon”, she told the media.
She says Ghana has come of age and deserves a better international airport.
“When you go to Kotoka (Airport) now we are having some challenges. A lot of aircraft are coming to Ghana but there is no place for them to park, and the terminal buildings are always congested”, Madam Ativor added.
Already, 8,000 acres of land has been secured and government is negotiating for additional 8,000 to add up for the project. It is expected that when completed, the new airline will have modern facilities and space to accommodate more aircraft.
Madam Ativor would not give a timeline for the commencement of work, but she says government will soon invite the public to bid for a feasibility study on the project.
She also spoke about plans by government to set up a national airline.
“We want to be the hub of West Africa and we need a national carrier to help us achieve that dream”. She says government will see to the realization of this vision.
Acting Paramount Chief for Ningo Traditional Area, Nene Kanor Atiapah pledged the cooperation of the people of the area to see to the timely completion of the project.
- 7 times Ghana has beaten Nigeria to the prize
- Travellers complain of rampant robbery at Bunso Junction off Accra-Kumasi highway
- 9 Nigerians arrested for illegally entering Ghana after crossing Volta River
- Akuapem Poloo’s child is with me, he doesn’t know what is going on – Actress’ lawyer
- NDC must focus on healing the horse, not selecting a rider – Kunbour
- Tottenham sack Mourinho after 17 months
- Attorney General supports my motion for appeal – Lawyer for Akuapem Poloo reveals
- 36th ICAG Graduation Ceremony; female UCC alumni crowned overall best candidate
- Former NSMQ contestant, Francis Tetteh reported dead
- Whether dumsor is back or not, current power outages must be resolved immediately – Prof Adei
Today’s front pages: Tuesday, April 20, 2021
Quality healthcare at Upper West Regional Hospital impeded over lack of food supply
‘NDC not at crossroads but we are at a point where the roads are likely to cross’ – Kunbuor
John Mahama must call sycophantic campaigners to order – Kunbuor
‘Let’s not lose our guard on Covid-19’ – NCCE cautions public
NDC party was formed to give voice to the voiceless-Antwi Boasiako
JoyBusiness’ MoneyLab educates on steps to follow to avoid fraud
Ghana claims 88 percent of 2020 WASSCE 8As
We want to model Ghanaian youth to become good citizens – ISGF Africa Chairman
Court reveals 13 factors behind Akuapem Poloo’s sentencing
Message from the Morning Man: Sandbags
Forum held at Tema meant to reaffirm cadres group as major organ in NDC – Ben Ephson
Kwasi Korang: NPP leadership should be bold and stop the Bawumia camp from campaigning
Bawumia is a gem – Ama Busia
‘Bawumia is more than qualified to lead the NPP in 2024’ – Ama Busia