The creative director and founder of the African fashion accessory brand “Selina Beb” has advised up-and-coming designers to try to be original in their craft.
According to her, although designers often draw inspiration from one another, which is normal, it is better to be original in the fashion world.
Speaking to Asieduwaa Akumia on Prime Morning, Monday, Miss Bebaako-Mensah said although she takes it as a compliment when other designers pick inspiration from her creations, it is advisable for designers to tweak designs to fit their own creations instead of copying everything they see.
“I always tell them to try and be original. You know we all take inspiration from others. Like I told you, sometimes I take inspiration from foreign designers, but even if I inspire you, change your design. Tweak it, make it different, and don’t copy ditto ditto. That one is a no-no. You know, I don’t get too upset. I actually take it as a compliment because I am like, “Wow, that means they like the design so much and I’ve inspired them’. So, I’m happy with that,” she said.
The fashion entrepreneur also shared that her inspiration for her designs does not only come from foreign designers. According to Miss Bebaako-Mensah, sometimes her clients and customers help her find inspiration for her creations.
“I get inspiration from my clients and customers as well. I look at the kind of people that come to my shop, the kind of people that patronize my products, and I’m thinking, ‘Okay, these group of people would love something like this,’ and I listen to them as well,” she said.
Miss Bebaako-Mensah also pointed out that designers putting out designs they originally create will help them go a long way in their careers. She encouraged designers to continue being authentic, as it will help boost their brand.
- Russia ‘will bomb any country that arrests Putin’ – Former Russian president
- Afenyo-Markin pleads for confirmation of ministerial nominees
- AFCON 2023Q: Antoine Semenyo nets last-ditch winner as Black Stars beat Angola
- Social media reacts to Afena-Gyan’s rejection of Black Meteors call-up
- Ghana v Angola: Jordan Ayew, Kudus start as Chris Hughton era begins
- Ashaiman invasion: We have been commended for ridding town of criminals – DG of Armed Forces Public Affairs
- Funny Face opens up on relationship with Emmanuel Adebayor
- Ghana power firms reject move to restructure $1.4bn debt
- Volta ECG reconnects Ho Airport, GRA, others after payments
- Cedi improves in value against dollar; $1 now ¢12.40
- Attempts by Bawumia’s supporters to politicise enskinment of new Yagbonwura disrespectful – Joyce Bawah
- Exploring the art of drum making
- Mahama begins 3-day campaign tour of the Western Region today
- Police called to Rihanna’s house after man shows up to propose
- ECG retrieves almost ¢2.5m from 2 defaulting firms in Kumasi
- South Africa opposition vows to ‘protect’ Putin from ICC arrest
- 2023 AFCONQ: Ghana 1-0 Angola: Player Ratings – Partey shines, Mensah struggles
- Ramadan: Nigerians face arrest for ‘eating in public’
- AFCON 2023Q: Benching Andre Ayew was my choice – Chris Hughton
- GSE signs MoU with MIIF to increase listing of mining companies
- AFCON 2023Q: I just want to be effective for the team – Antoine Semenyo
- Today’s front pages: Friday, March 24, 2023
- Mahama and other NDC flagbearer aspirants to be vetted next week
- AFCON 2023Q: Chris Hughton calls for efficiency after winning start
- Government needs to ensure enough public tax education – Prof. Ebo Turkson