An actress who starred in the Queen of Katwe, a Disney film about a chess prodigy from a Ugandan slum, has died aged 15, Ugandan media report.
Nikita Pearl Waligwa had been diagnosed with a brain tumour.
The 2016 film was based on the true story of Phiona Mutesi, who took up chess aged nine despite not being in school and went on to compete in international tournaments.
It starred Lupita Nyong’o as her mother and David Oyelowo as her chess teacher.
Waligwa played the role of Gloria, a friend of Phiona who explained the rules of chess to her.
She was first diagnosed with a brain tumour in 2016 and Queen of Katwe director Mira Nair reportedly mobilised people to help fund her treatment in India, with Ugandan doctors quoted as saying they did not have the necessary equipment.
She was given the all-clear in 2017 but last year was found to have another tumour.
- GRA descends on Melcom over issuance of fake electronic VAT invoices
- Father and daughter die in a gory accident at Ejisu-Onwe
- 12 persons arrested for involvement in robbery, murder cases
- DDE: Labour holds government to ‘exemption to all pension funds’ promise
- Akufo-Addo assigns Employment Minister additional responsibility for pensions
- Bodies of 10 civilians allegedly killed by soldiers released to families for burial
- ‘I am a fixer, not a talker’ – Dr Osei Adutwum tells critics
- Fantana mourns soulmate’s death
- Women have been misled about menopause
- It is unreasonable for Opuni’s case to drag on for 6 years – Attorney General
- Aggrieved customers of defunct Gold Coast Fund threaten to sue government
- Bono East Region has 10 factories under 1D1F – Alan Kyeremanten
- Mason Greenwood attempted rape charges dropped
- BBC News channel announces new presenter line-up for revamp
- Kwame Dadzie: Why are Shatta Wale, Stonebwoy, others now quiet on GHAMRO matters?
- Mechanics being ejected from Boadi Junction lament high towing fee charged by Assembly
- US black history syllabus changed after Florida ‘woke’ claims
- How to let your personal values lead when looking for love
- New approach to textbook procurement caused delay – Education Minister concedes
- ‘I reach a wider audience when my interviews are done in the Twi language’ – ZionFelix
- GoldFields, Kosmos dispute tax bills imposed by GRA
- PAC laments forgery, willful backdating of receipts by some state institutions
- King Charles will not appear on new Australia $5 note
- “It should not take IMF to direct government not to borrow from BoG” – IEA Research Director
- I couldn’t attend PRESEC-Legon because our cocoa farm got burnt – Seth Terkper