Audio By Carbonatix
About 670 people are estimated to be buried under a massive landslide in Papua New Guinea, a UN official says.
The head of the International Organization for Migration in Papua New Guinea, Serhan Aktoprak, said the impact of Friday's landslide in the country's isolated Enga province was greater than initially thought.
"There are an estimated 150-plus houses now buried," Mr Aktoprak said.
The affected areas are in the highlands of Enga, in the north of the island nation in the south-west Pacific.
Mr Aktoprak said rescuers were at risk because "the land still sliding".
"The water is running and this is creating a massive risk for everyone involved," he said.
There are nearly 4,000 people living in the area hit by the landslide.
But Care Australia, the humanitarian agency which is helping with relief efforts, warned that the number affected was "likely to be higher" because of an influx of people escaping tribal conflicts in neighbouring areas.

At least 1,000 people have been displaced as a result of the disaster. Mr Aktoprak said gardens that had grown food and water supplies were almost completely wiped out.
The landslide happened at around 03:00 local time on Friday (17:00 GMT on Thursday), when people were more likely to be sleeping.
"We still don’t know the exact number of fatalities from the landslide, and may not know for some time," said a spokesperson for Care Australia.
"However, the time that the landslide occurred suggests that the death toll will rise."
Mr Aktoprak said helpers were using any means necessary to recover victims: "People are using digging sticks, spades, large agricultural forks to remove the bodies buried under the soil."
By Sunday, just five bodies had been recovered alongside the partial remains of another.
Debris from the landslide, which includes large boulders, trees and displaced soil, is up to 8 meters (26ft) deep in some areas.
There is only one highway into Enga Province and Care Australia said debris had fallen across large swatches of the road, limiting access to the rescue site.
AFP, the news agency, said that large machinery is expected to arrive on Sunday.
Latest Stories
-
GSA, PTB donate 50 calibrated weighing scales to Techiman traders on World Metrology Day
31 minutes -
US says temporary visa holders should leave to apply for Green Cards
35 minutes -
Asiedu Nketia pledges stronger welfare support for former NDC executives
42 minutes -
NDC parliamentary leadership reshuffle secured 2024 election victory – Asiedua Nketiah
2 hours -
Agbodza visits Adaklu-Helekpe mudslide victims, warns of more danger around mountain
2 hours -
TTAG urge government’s urgent action on recruitment and postings
2 hours -
World Vision Ghana brings joy to Wa West children with mass birthday celebration
2 hours -
NAIMOS arrest one foreign national and 7 Ghanaians in anti-galamsey operation in Ashanti Region
2 hours -
Health Ministry announces mop-up exercise for validation and posting of health professionals
2 hours -
GoldBod wins community backing for responsible mining support program in Ashanti Region
2 hours -
Xenophobic attack: Why announce evacuation without preparation? – Minority caucus questions gov’t
3 hours -
Government failed Ghanaians in South Africa — Minority slams evacuation delay
3 hours -
Heavy downpour leaves Kaneshie, other parts of Accra flooded
3 hours -
Mahama’s STEM push aims to build curious, creative students – Haruna Iddrisu
3 hours -
Swimming stakeholders call for legitimate governance and constitutional elections in Ghana Swimming
3 hours