Virgil van Dijk has backed his Netherlands international teammate Cody Gakpo to replace the outgoing Roberto Firmino in Liverpool’s attack.
Liverpool confirmed that Firmino, alongside James Milner, Naby Keita and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, will leave the club upon the expiration of his contract at the end of June, ending a trophy-laden eight-season stay on Merseyside.
During his final game at Anfield – in which he scored a late equaliser against Aston Villa – a teary-eyed Firmino said goodbye to the Reds’ fanbase having scored 110 goals in over 360 appearances.
Only 12 of those appearances have come as starts during the 2022/23 Premier League season, and that was largely due to the January signing of Gakpo.
The 24-year-old signed for a reported £40m fee from PSV Eindhoven and has thoroughly impressed in the false nine role in recent months – a role formerly played by Firmino.
Gakpo has bagged six goals and two assists in his 20 games thus far and has become a key component of Jurgen Klopp’s side.
Speaking about what Liverpool do without Firmino, Van Dijk revealed how impressed he has been with Gakpo to date.
- M.anifest joins father to celebrate his grandmother’s 98th birthday
- Supreme Court dismisses case against regulation of plant breeders
- Doctor fired for prescribing ice cream and video games to child with sore throat
- Archbishop Agyinasare’s comment can trigger security and peace instability – Security analyst
- I’m sad presidency is at the forefront of doing unconstitutional things – Domelevo on Supreme Court ruling
- Barker-Vormawor refuses to state his plea as he is slapped with fresh Treason charges
- Some OMCs start increasing fuel prices; Goil selling a litre of petrol, diesel for ¢12.45
- Gyakye Quayson to contest Assin North seat again in June 27 by-election
- Supreme Court ruling comes as a very big birthday present to me – Domelevo
- WAFU B Women’s U20 Cup: Ghana seal final spot with comeback win over Burkina Faso
- GJA pledges continuous support for photojournalists
- 7 reported dead, several others injured in renewed Gonja – Mamprusi clash
- Joe Ghartey picks NPP presidential nomination form
- Adom FM, EndPoint Homeopathic Clinic offer free prostate screening exercise
- Adom FM launches ‘Sɛdeɛ Yɛka No Nie’ to promote accurate use of Akan language
- Ghanaians must protect gains made under constitutional rule – NCCE Director
- Adom FM launches ‘Dad Too Can Cook’ event ahead of Father’s Day celebration
- SIM card deactivation: Affected persons have the opportunity to re-register – Ken Ashigbey
- Music royalties at risk as GHAMRO’s operating license is withheld
- Moses OK opens up his music journey
- You’ll have access to your MoMo after restoration – Ken Ashigbey assures ‘blocked’ mobile users
- We’ve received over ¢119m in 3 years from Common Fund – NYA provides partial information to JoySports
- Rejoinder: Supreme Court dismisses land ownership claim by Teshie family
- Former DCE of Akatsi passes on
- Ghana defender Patric Pfeiffer signs for Augsburg until 2027