Audio By Carbonatix
The Volta Region House of Chiefs has openly condemned attacks by some armed separatist groups in the region.
They have denounced association with the agenda of the groups whom they say have been agitating for independence from Ghana.
At a meeting, the chiefs said those involved must be punished as the law stipulates for seeking to destroy the peace and stability of the country
This comes after some members of these secessionist group in recent days mounted attacks on some key places in parts of the Volta region including police stations at Aveyime and Mepe located in the North Tongu Constituency on Friday, September, 25.
In a statement, they highlighted key issues that related to the rioting of these individuals.
“The Volta Region House of Chiefs roundly condemns these acts by the purported ‘Western Togoland Group’ in no uncertain terms. These were criminal actions, which should be investigated and those involved be made to face the full rigours of the law.”
“The Volta Region House of Chiefs would like to state clearly their commitment to one peaceful and united Ghana, and their preparedness to collaborate with government to ensure peace and stability in the Volta Region and the country at large,” the statement read.
They iterated the need for all citizens to lead peaceful life to promote unity and development.
Their stance comes after the National House of Chiefs also chastised the separatist movement.
The statement revealed that Minister for Chieftaincy and Religious Affairs Kofi Dzamesi and the Minister for National Security Albert Kan-Dapaah who were invited for the meeting were not present due to various engagements.
Meanwhile, some security experts have said evil other elements may take advantage of the violence of these groups to enact their terrorist plans.
So far, 31 people have been picked up by the police in relation to the attack on Friday and have been slapped with five charges.
However, their lawyer Theophilus Donkor has said they have nothing to with the attack.
Latest Stories
-
FIFA World Cup: Iran moves camp from USA to Mexico, amid ongoing conflict
11 minutes -
Tamale police arrest suspect with large quantities of drugs
45 minutes -
BoG pushes for integrated African payment systems to boost trade — Dr Asiama
48 minutes -
Two people shot in encounter with Secret Service near the White House
1 hour -
Red Cross volunteers die from suspected Ebola in DR Congo
1 hour -
US Secret Service investigates reports of shots near White House
2 hours -
ECG injects GH¢3m into power upgrades across 40 Accra communities
2 hours -
‘Owadiah’ makes history: William Opare becomes first Ghanaian to break 45 seconds in 400m
2 hours -
Scottish woman ‘was on a mission’ to find out who her Ghanaian husband was. Then she died
2 hours -
Four Ada SHS students arrested after viral cutlass threat video sparks alarm
2 hours -
Christopher Bonsu Baah win Staff Player of the Year award in debut season with Al Qadsiah
3 hours -
Laryea Kingston’s Uganda beat Ghana 8-7 on penalties to secure U-17 World Cup spot and extend Black Starlets’ absence to nine years
3 hours -
FIFA U17 World Cup playoffs: Uganda beat Black Starlets on penalties to qualify
3 hours -
GN Savings and Loans: Ndoum thanks Mahama after Court of Appeal victory
3 hours -
2026 U17 WWCQ: Goalfest in Accra as Black Maidens hit Liberia for six
3 hours