Audio By Carbonatix
The Member of Parliament for Walewale, Mahama Tiah Abdul-Kabiru, has strongly condemned an alleged unprovoked assault on a journalist and scores of civilians by military personnel in the Walewale township, describing the act as "barbaric, unprofessional, and infantile."
In a statement dated Tuesday, January 27, 2026, the MP said a team of soldiers travelling from Bolgatanga to Tamale stopped in Walewale around 1:00 pm on Monday and assaulted the Northeast Regional Correspondent of Media General and other innocent civilians, while also destroying properties, including motorbikes and commercial vehicles.
“This culture of military brutality, which has become the order of the day, is a dangerous degenerative development when left unchecked by the Military Command, and could lead to military-civilian confrontation and its attendant consequences,” Dr Abdul-Kabiru warned.
According to the MP's account, the Media General reporter was detained for over four hours after the assault. He alleged that photos of the injuries, which the journalist had taken with his phone, were destroyed by the soldiers.
Dr Abdul-Kabiru said his checks with both the District Police Command and the military unit stationed in Walewale indicated that they were neither informed nor involved in the incident, suggesting the perpetrators were from a different unit.
The MP highlighted that this was not an isolated event, noting a troubling pattern of similar assaults in the area. He recalled that the same journalist, along with two others and several civilians, was assaulted in February 2025, with some victims left maimed without compensation.
He dismissed any potential pretext of retaliating for bus attacks, stating that no such incidents have occurred recently despite public dissatisfaction with the government's handling of the Bawku conflict and the lack of security escorts for travellers.
Dr Abdul-Kabiru has called on the Acting Minister of Defence to immediately investigate the incident and ensure the perpetrators are brought to book.
“The wholesale abuse of the people and the general application of force to all civilians is unacceptable and must be checked,” he stated.
Latest Stories
-
Dr Abena Nyarkoa to join panel discussion at Africa Together Conference in Cambridge
1 hour -
Walmart warns US shoppers are cutting spending as higher petrol prices bite
2 hours -
Flexible exchange rate regime critical in absorbing external shocks – First Deputy Governor
2 hours -
Toilets and changing rooms must be used on basis of biological sex, guidance confirms
2 hours -
Emily in Paris to end after sixth season, says Netflix
2 hours -
Angry crowd sets Ebola hospital tents on fire in DR Congo
2 hours -
Russia and China condemn US over indictment of former Cuban leader
2 hours -
Bank of Ghana reverts to previous Cash Reserve Ratio policy after scrapping it last year
2 hours -
Ghana-eligible defender Beres Owusu signs permanent deal with Grazer AK
2 hours -
A Super El Niño is coming: What does it mean for Ghana?
3 hours -
Driving Schools Association pushes for mandatory driver training to reduce road crashes
3 hours -
Climate change exists with or without humans — Youth advocate
3 hours -
Plastic waste driving flooding and climate concerns in Bamaahu — Youth Climate Reporter
4 hours -
This week on The Career Trail
4 hours -
My book was born out of university research – Mary Anane Awuku
4 hours