Every year, Apple needs to whip up something exciting if it wants to get people hyped about the next iPhone. The same holds true especially for this year.
With iPhone sales falling 12% in the fiscal third quarter, profits expected to dip to $9.6 billion and more people trading in their iPhones for Androids, the company needs to make sure its iPhone 11, 11R and 11 Max (or whatever they’ll be called) will be compelling enough to draw new customers or keep current customers updating.
So when will Apple officially announce the 2019 iPhones? The company hasn’t sent out invitations to any iPhone events yet, but based on previous years, I predict Apple will unveil the next iPhones on Tuesday, Sept. 10.
Keep in mind this is just an educated guess, and we have no confirmation from Apple itself if this date is correct (Apple didn’t immediately reply to a request to comment.) However, there are a few reasons why this is the likeliest date.
For the past seven years Apple has announced iPhones either in the same week as Labor Day, which is on the first Monday in September, or the following week. In the past, if the US holiday occurred on Sept. 3 or earlier, Apple announced its iPhone the following week. When Labor Day landed on the Sept. 5 or later, as it did in 2015 and 2016, Apple announced the iPhone the following Wednesday (two days after Labor Day). Peep the chart below to see what I mean:
APPLE IPHONE RELEASE AND ANNOUNCEMENT DATES (2012-2018)
|iPhone model and year||Announcement date||Release date|
|iPhone XS/XS Max (2018)||Wednesday, Sept. 12||Friday, Sept. 21|
|iPhone 8/8 Plus (2017)||Tuesday, Sept. 12||Friday, Sept. 22|
|iPhone 7/7 Plus (2016)||Wednesday, Sept. 7||Friday, Sept. 16|
|iPhone 6S/6S Plus (2015)||Wednesday, Sept. 9||Friday, Sept. 25|
|iPhone 6/6 Plus (2014)||Tuesday, Sept. 9||Friday, Sept. 19|
|iPhone 5S (2013)||Tuesday, Sept. 10||Friday, Sept. 20|
|iPhone 5 (2012)||Wednesday, Sept. 12||Friday, Sept. 21|
This year, Labor Day is on Monday, Sept. 2. Keeping with the pattern, Apple would announce its new iPhones the following Tuesday or Wednesday: Sept. 10 or Sept. 11. Either date fits the pattern, but since the news cycle on Sept. 11 is best avoided for obvious reasons, I’d go with Sept. 10 as the safer bet. I also predict preorders will kick off that Friday, Sept. 13.
The date also aligns with the expected in-store release and shipping dates too, which I expect to both fall on Friday, Sept. 20. For the last seven years, you could purchase the regular flagship iPhones on a Friday, around the third week of September, about a week and a half after Apple makes its announcements. Specialty iPhones, like the iPhone XR, iPhone X and iPhone SE shipped out on their own timelines. Because the iPhone XR was available in October, there’s a chance the iPhone 11R will be in users’ hands in October too.
There you have it. I believe Apple will announce the new iPhone 11s on Sept. 10, with preorders on Sept. 13 and shipping starting Sept. 20. Again, without Apple’s confirmation these are just predictions, but we’ll find out soon enough if I’m correct.
- Danadams Pharmaceuticals and CEO in court over alleged fraud and forgery
- Disregard statement declaring Friday, Sept 30 as a holiday – Oyibi Divisional Council
- GFA suspends 2022/23 Ghana Premier League over court injunction
- Man arrested for threatening to release nude videos of late brother’s wife
- ‘I’m extremely regretful’ – KiDi apologises for ‘inappropriate and unkind’ old tweets
- T Bills, short-term securities will not be affected by Ghana’s debt restructuring – US-based Associate Professor
- Land acquisition: Here is what you missed on Joy FM’s Super Morning Show
- Pastor jailed for life after planning coup and black genocide
- Every single day Akufo-Addo remains President, the country drifts into peril – Dr Amoako Baah
- We will still be a prime supplier of Mercedes-Benz services in Ghana – Silver Star
- West African leaders in Mali over detained Ivorians
- NCA, AG dragged to court over directives on SIM re-registration
- Adidas row: Morocco demands change to Algerian jersey design
- Linguistics Association of Ghana explores ways to make language socially relevant
- Ghana’s export to Burkina Faso increased to $276million in 2021
- Book containing late Prof Mills’ SONA christened “Atta Mills Speaks” launched
- Trevor Noah is leaving ‘The Daily Show’
- Banking sector crisis was not systemic – Alhassan Andani
- Banking Sector Clean-up: We should have allowed institutional disciplines to work – Alhassan Andani
- Banking sector crisis: State institutions must raise red flags at the right time – Alhassan Andani
- GRASAG launches Graduate Research Trust Fund
- British Airways flight A380 makes technical stop at KIA
- Ghana, Korea $8 million rice project kicks off in Assin North
- SIM re-registration: National Security has warned Akufo-Addo against blockage – Deputy Minority Chief Whip
- We are engaging ECG to fix anomaly with electricity purchase – PURC