Audio By Carbonatix
The women of Barbacoas, Colombia have ended a three-month, 19-day "crossed legs" strike of sexual abstinence aimed at getting a road to their isolated town paved, after officials pledged to invest in the project.
"That night we devoted to our husbands. The desire was great and we took advantage of it," Luz Marina Castillo, the leader of the protest, told Bogota newspaper El Tiempo in comments published Sunday after the strike was lifted.
Transport Minister German Cardona has pledged to invest an estimated $21 million to pave the first 27 kilometers (17 miles) of the 57-kilometer road, adding that studies were underway on the cost and design of the second half of the route.
At least 300 women began the strike June 22, refusing to have sex with their partners until the government agreed to pave the first half of a 163-year-old horse trail to the town in the southern department of Narino.
The women were encouraged to go on strike by two Narino judges, Maribel Silva and Diego Enriquez, after they complained about the men's passivity in the face of the problem.
"The men's first reaction was laughter, because they found the way we were protesting very curious," Silva said.
Then reality set in, and work on the road finally began last week as the government had promised.
"The day we saw the machinery arrive, we couldn't believe it," said Castillo. "It was very special, not just for the movement, but for all Barbacoans. Imagine, it was decades of oblivion."
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Ronaldinho seeks 300th goal with comeback aged 46
5 hours -
Your voice, your future – Opare Addo opens National Youth Forum 2026
5 hours -
GRA pushes data-driven tax administration to boost revenue mobilisation
5 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Presby SHS, Bompata crushes Sacred Heart’s hopes of reaching one-eighth stage
5 hours -
Africa Golf Tourism Convention opens in South Africa to unlock opportunities
5 hours -
BOGISS alleged sexual assault: Dr Apaak demands protection for autism victim
5 hours -
GTEC trains tertiary officials on new affiliation quality assurance framework
5 hours -
Luv FM High School Debate: OKESS, OSASS silence K’Wey Gey and KASS in fierce round of 16
5 hours -
Alcaraz to play US Open after four months out
5 hours -
Even if all foreigners leave, South Africa’s problems will remain – Dr Yamson blames state failure
6 hours -
Mahama announces GH¢500m district housing programme; rollout to begin this year
6 hours -
Energy Committee yet to receive July 29 blackout report – Adomako-Mensah
6 hours -
Five in six Ghana health facilities fall short of basic sanitation standard – WHO/UNICEF
6 hours -
Mohammed Fuseini in talks over Troyes move from Union SG
6 hours -
‘Bear with the system’ – Energy Ministry says temporary power control room to be ready by September
7 hours