Audio By Carbonatix
An independent presidential candidate who doubles as the founder and leader of Yellow Ghana, Samuel Apea-Danquah, has raised concerns about his disqualification by the Electoral Commission (EC) from the 2024 presidential race.
On Friday, September 20, EC Chairperson, Jean Mensa announced that Mr Apea-Danquah, who contested as an independent parliamentary candidate in the 2020 election failed to meet the nomination requirements.
She cited issues such as incomplete forms and missing documentation, despite allowing Mr Apea-Danquah to rectify the anomalies and correct them.
“Mr Samuel Apea-Danquah, an independent candidate was, however, presented with a number of issues to resolve including not filing tax certificate for his vice presidential candidate and then some of his pages were omitted from the form and he had incomplete particulars for some of his supporters.
“Unfortunately, though he was provided with the opportunity to correct this, he was unable to do so and the committee recommended that he be disqualified,” the EC said.
But responding to this in a statement on Friday, September 20, Mr Apea-Danquah contested the decision and described the process as inconsistent and unfair.
The statement explained that on September 11, 2024, Mr Apea-Danquah received notification of anomalies from the EC's Deputy Director of Electoral Services, including the need for a tax clearance certificate for his vice-presidential candidate and limits on the number of supporters endorsing him per district.
It said by September 13, 2024, Mr Apea-Danquah had complied with all required corrections, submitting his completed documents before the deadline.
“However, the EC later claimed that the forms remained incomplete, despite acknowledging receipt of all necessary documents, including a re-submission letter requested by the Commission after the initial corrections had been made,” part of the statement read.
"’From venturing into conflict zones to securing endorsements, our team worked tirelessly," said Mr. Apea-Danquah. "We corrected every anomaly identified by the EC, submitted all required documents on time, and yet, we have been disqualified. This is a glaring error that cannot go unchallenged,’” the statement added.
The statement further expressed the Yellow Ghana Party's commitment to resolving the issue and advocating for transparency and fairness in the electoral process.
Mr Apea-Danquah is among ten others who were disqualified from the race.
Read Also: Meet Samuel Apea-Danquah, the Youngest Presidential Aspirant since Dr Kwame Nkrumah
Latest Stories
-
Ice baths, almond milk, meditation and a ‘house like a hospital’: The secrets of Salah’s success
27 minutes -
This Saturday on Prime Insight: GN Savings and Loans licence restoration and the Abronye bail debate
2 hours -
Putin vows retaliation after accusing Ukraine of hitting student dormitory
2 hours -
2026 ACI World Congress: In Accra, a quiet reframe of how emerging markets see themselves
2 hours -
No break-in, no theft at Ashaiman showroom – Hisense Ghana clarifies
2 hours -
This Saturday on Newsfile: Attack on free speech and return of GN Bank
3 hours -
Opinion: The evidence before High Court continues to expose weakness of the Republic’s case against Wontumi
3 hours -
Ebola risk raised to ‘very high’ in DR Congo
3 hours -
I recommended Haruna and Muntaka for ministerial roles — Asiedu Nketia
3 hours -
The Cost of Macroeconomic Stabilization: An Analysis of the Bank ofGhana’s 2025 Financial Deficit
4 hours -
Isaac Nlason elected SRC President of the Ghana School of Law
4 hours -
Haruna Iddrisu takes a subtle jibe at Asiedu Nketia’s ‘Thank You Tour’
4 hours -
GSA, PTB donate 50 calibrated weighing scales to Techiman traders on World Metrology Day
4 hours -
US says temporary visa holders should leave to apply for Green Cards
4 hours -
Asiedu Nketia pledges stronger welfare support for former NDC executives
4 hours