Audio By Carbonatix
A Deputy Attorney-General, Godfred Yeboah Dame, says one cannot seek election petition reliefs in a human rights’ action.
Speaking to the Media after the Supreme Court had quashed an injunction against John Peter Amewu, Member of Parliament Elect for Hohoe, Mr Dame said it was unjustified to have commenced an election petition and characterized same as a human rights issue.
“We are very grateful to the court. We are happy that justice has been served. From the onset, our contention was that the action filed at the High Court was incompetent and totally out of order.”
Speaking about some misconception and perceptions over the A-G’s intervention in the matter, Mr Dame said the state was sued and made a party in the case.
“Once you have been sued in a matter, you reserve the right to take any action available to you according to law hence our decision to file the action at the Supreme Court to quash the Ho High Court decision on December 23, 2020, in accordance with the law,” he added.
On Santrokofi, Akpafu, Likpe and Lolobi (SALL) being placed under Buem, Mr Dame noted that the people of SALL are not part of Hohoe.
He said the Electoral Commission should take steps to organize election again at Buem, noting that the High Court could take care of that issue as certain people had already taken legal action in that respect. The people of Buem were unable to vote for their parliamentary candidate at the just-ended election.
Latest Stories
-
2026 U20 WWC: Ghana’s Ambassador to Czech Republic welcomes Black Princesses to Poland
4 minutes -
Oti NPP executives demand completion of stalled government projects
16 minutes -
Jinapor demands answers as Alima Mahama is asked to pay for Embassy spending outside her tenure
25 minutes -
Russia doubles scholarships for Ghanaian students to 240 annually
26 minutes -
Cedi’s year-to-date loss slumps to 4.09% as recent gains gather pace
45 minutes -
‘Home has spoken’ – Justin Kodua Frimpong says as Ashanti delegates back his re-election bid
49 minutes -
Mustapha Abdul-Hamid, seven others’ NPA case adjourned to August 27
58 minutes -
Alima Mahama Refund: Jinapor challenges Ablakwa’s authority, says only Auditor-General can surcharge
58 minutes -
Wontumi Conviction: 2 star witnesses placed under police protection amid death threats
1 hour -
Srem-Sai reveals surge in death threats after Wontumi conviction
1 hour -
GCB, Ecobank, 4 others are top tier banks in Ghana – PwC Banking Survey
1 hour -
Today’s front pages: Tuesday, August 18, 2026
2 hours -
Banks’ sustainable success will be defined less by interest margins – PwC
3 hours -
CJ Baffor-Bonnie was part of ‘grand conspiracy to remove Torkornoo – Afenyo-Markin alleges
3 hours -
The GIPA Act: Resetting Ghana’s investment framework
4 hours