Jose Mourinho does not expect the Red Devils to land the in-demand Real Madrid man but the midfielder believes it is still possible.
Manchester United attacking midfielder Juan Mata believes Alvaro Morata could still join the club, despite the arrival of Romelu Lukaku from Everton.
Jose Mourinho's side were interested in Real Madrid striker Morata before completing the signing of Lukaku for a reported £75million.
The United boss stated at the weekend that it was Madrid's decision not to sell the Spain international and conceded that a deal to bring him to Old Trafford is unlikely.
However, compatriot Mata is refusing to give up on the idea that Morata could become his team-mate before the end of August.
"It looks tough to see Alvaro Morata in a Red Devils shirt with the arrival of Romelu," he told Cadena Cope. "We've signed an important player in attack and it's difficult, although you never know.
"Things can happen in the last few days, but I wish Alvaro the best."
Talk of Morata moving to United is unlikely to die down while speculation persists that Madrid are ready to reignite their interest in goalkeeper David de Gea.
A part-exchange deal involving the two players was mooted early last month, with Mourinho reportedly happy to consider allowing De Gea to leave.
Mata is confident that he will not be going anywhere, however, stating: "I think De Gea will stay."
- Bagbin’s new look gets social media talking as Parliament resumes sitting
- First female Brigadier-General in GAF dies
- Apeatse explosion: I wish I had died than to lose my son, 10 bedroom house
- Lands Ministry investigates alleged military assault on mining taskforce
- Government will continue to engage on E-levy – Oppong-Nkrumah
- Group pickets Parliament over E-Levy, vows to resist re-introduction
- Special Prosecutor starts investigations into banking and financial sector crisis
- AFCON 2021: 8 people dead and over 40 injured in Olembe Stadium stampede
- Burkina Faso coup leaders urged to release President Kabore
- Joyce Aryee leads 5-member committee to manage Apeatse Support Fund
Bessa Simons allegedly involved in signature forgery
Culture of violence if not checked will spell doom for our democracy – Oppong Nkrumah
We must be decisive in preventing domestic inequalities that lead to urban migration, conflict – Bawumia tells UN Security Council
Independent accountability institutions must act as the constitution demands – Ghana Integrity Initiative
Akufo-Addo guilty, ashamed to mention ‘corruption’ – Manasseh Azure
If we were serious about anti-graft fight Agyeman Manu won’t be Health Minister – Manasseh Azure
Akufo-Addo’s government friendly to corruption – Manasseh Azure
Government to set up ministerial commission of inquiry to probe Apeatse explosion
Stop discriminating against persons living with disabilities – Wenchi MP to Ghanaians
IEPA backs government to invest more in the educational sector for poverty alleviation
Police on manhunt for friends who helped woman assault rival
If anyone tries to defame me, I will sue – Kofi Mole
I’m not using Covid-19 to make excuses about the economy – Akufo-Addo
Gospel singer apologises for cheating on wife
NDC will continue to oppose ‘burdensome’ taxes – Mahama