In a record breaking height of impunity, the Delta Force, a vigilante group affiliated to the governing New Patriotic Party has set free suspects and members of Force who were facing prosecution for acts of vandalism.
The attack captured on video showed how the group, numbering about 50, besieged the Kumasi Circuit court premises Thursday, in chants and taunts, broke into the court cells and freed their members who had only weeks ago chased out the Regional Security Coordinator appointed by the president.
Joy News' Ashanti Region correspondent, Nurudeen Mohammed reported that the police were outnumbered and caught between securing the suspects and protecting the judge, Mary Sankyire.
The safety of the Judge was a priority and without any resistance by the police, the vigilante group broke into the midshift cell in the court premises and released their colleagues.
The Judge had announced that the suspects were going to be remanded for two weeks pending further investigation, a move that did not go down well with the members of the vigilante group who were in the court premises.
In anger, they charged at the judge and demanded the immediate release of the suspects, Nurudeen reported.
At least 13 of the suspects were freed by the vigilante group and they are Kwadwo Fosu, Awal Sadat, Abubakar siddique, Jamel Issah, Hamza Mohammed, Salou Issahak, Akwasi Wusu.
Others are Kwabena Wusu, Kofi Kyei, Agya Baodu, Yussif Salou, Yussif Salou, Kwaku Awutwi.
Prior to the invasion by the group, the judge had issued a bench warrant for eight others who attacked the Regional Coordinating Council but did not turn up in court on Thursday.
Their first names are given as, Owura Biggie, Ernest, Seth, Nurudeen, Sofianto, Kwame, Marfo.
The suspects were facing four counts of conspiracy to commit crime, assault on public officer, causing unlawful harm and rioting. They pleaded not guilty to all counts.
Members of Delta Force invade Ashanti Regional Coordinating Council
Members of the Delta Force who were not happy with the appointment of George Agyei as the Regional Security Coordinator invaded the Council bundled out the president's appointee chanting they will not work with him
They claim the president's appointee did nothing in the struggle to bring the NPP back to power.
The group was asking the president to appoint their own man who they claim was with them during the struggle.
The conduct of the group was widely condemned with the president making a firm commitment to have the suspects arrested and prosecuted.
About 20 of them were arrested and were facing criminal charges only for their colleagues to, in hollywood style free the suspects today.
Watch the Video here
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Gov’t says drop in inflation, fuel prices sign of better days ahead
- Akufo-Addo removes Justice Dery, two other high court judges from office
- NDC flagbearer race: Goosie Tanoh will get full backing if he wins - Asiedu Nketiah
- Reversion to 'original' logo cost less than GHS16,000 – EC boss
- Mahama will be easier to beat in 2020 - Nana Akomea projects
- Sylvester Mensah is intellectually fit for the presidency - NDC Chairman supports
- I'll continue Mills' policy of building party offices - Alabi
- I'll accelerate development if...Sly Mensah pledges
- Work hard, bring NDC back; Sly Mensah to delegates in Eastern Region
- I won't fail you; Prof Alabi tells Ashanti NDC
- "Reduce it again" - 6 NDC presidential aspirants turn Oliver Twist
- Bye-election: 'Unifying' NPP candidate emerges at Ayawaso West Wuogon
- NDC Primaries: Alabi files nomination Monday
- Yellow for Yes, brown for No – EC on new regions referendum
- August 4 soon to be Public Holiday if...