Too many people feel like they’re sentenced to a lifetime of loneliness and singlehood.
They see themselves as failures because they haven’t found the one or have found and lost the one more than once.
I’d like to offer another perspective on the issue.
For those of you who feel like you’ve somehow failed at love, think again. In truth, you’ve made a powerful choice for yourself.
Here are 10 reasons why you might have made this very personal choice.
1. You’ve been unwilling to settle for something or someone that has not worked for you.
A lot of people stay in relationships and find themselves settling— it’s okay to set the bar high even if that means you end up choosing to stay single.
2. You’ve been focusing your energies on something more important in your life.
Relationships require a lot of energy and attention, especially in the beginning — it’s okay to choose other people and areas of your life in which to channel your time and energy.
3. Relationship skills are not your strong suit and you’re not willing to do anything about it.
You are entitled to accept yourself as is and live accordingly.
4. You need a lot of autonomy and control over how you live your life.
Relationships require interdependence, compromise, and a willingness to take care of the relationship’s needs first, instead of your own — not everyone is cut out for this and that’s okay.
5. You like the freedom of exploring different people.
Not much else to say about this one — long-term commitment and monogamy are simply not of interest to you.
6. You’ve seen too many couples struggle, divorce, or stay unhappily together.
I don’t blame people for being wary of committed relationships — there are certainly a lot of casualties out there.
7. You’re too desperate and it shows.
People know when they’re meeting someone who “has to” be in a relationship as opposed to someone who “wants to” be in a relationship — desperation is a turn-off.
8. You may have a low tolerance for discomfort; sometimes you need to be uncomfortable for a while before you get comfortable.
Relationships require delayed gratification and tolerance to struggle — it simply may be too hard for you to hang in there when things get tough.
9. You’ve been through too many heartbreaks and you’re done.
Sometimes, especially in your senior years, you may have “been there done that” too many times and now want to live a simple single life.
10. You’ve been unwilling to get help when things get messy.
Some people simply have to “go it alone” and resist getting outside help — this may be because of pride, laziness, money, or not knowing where to find the right help.
Remember, choice is powerful. Honor your choice today. You can always make a different one tomorrow.
- Disregard statement declaring Friday, Sept 30 as a holiday – Oyibi Divisional Council
- GFA suspends 2022/23 Ghana Premier League over court injunction
- Man arrested for threatening to release nude videos of late brother’s wife
- ‘I’m extremely regretful’ – KiDi apologises for ‘inappropriate and unkind’ old tweets
- T Bills, short-term securities will not be affected by Ghana’s debt restructuring – US-based Associate Professor
- Every single day Akufo-Addo remains President, the country drifts into peril – Dr Amoako Baah
- Land acquisition: Here is what you missed on Joy FM’s Super Morning Show
- Pastor jailed for life after planning coup and black genocide
- We will still be a prime supplier of Mercedes-Benz services in Ghana – Silver Star
- My husband left me for a ‘sugar mummy’ after 9 months of marriage – Woman shares experience
- Edmund Addo returns to Sheriff Tiraspol after botched summer transfer
- Chinese employer who allegedly slashed throat of Ghanaian employee to be arraigned today
- Elikem Asenath Naa Obiorkor Commey
- State TV off-air amid gunfire in Burkina Faso
- King Charles III: New coins featuring monarch’s portrait unveiled
- Africa’s biotechnology heroes celebrated on OFAB Day
- Queen Elizabeth II died of “old age” – Death certificate reveals
- Uganda gives green light to organ transplants
- Peace deal’ signed by Nigerian presidential rivals
- Mozambique police urges ‘knives and machetes’ war on jihadists
- Mankessim murder: Accused persons allegedly confess to killing 3 more people
- From Eric’s Diary: Why the deadline for SIM re-registration will be extended
- Cedi depreciation may force marginal increase in price of petrol, LPG from October 1, 2022
- Today’s front pages: Friday, September 30, 2022
- West African leaders in Mali over detained Ivorians