Caleb Ekuban marked his debut with a goal as Ghana laboured to a 1-0 victory over Kenya on the final day of the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier.
The Trabzonspor striker's goal proved crucial as Black Stars finish the series as group winners, two points above the Harambee Stars, who had already qualified before the match.
Black Stars had a good opportunity to break the deadlock in the 24th minute but Partey swept his close-range shot across the face of goal, with the net wide open.
In the 36th minute, Ayew scored but the goal was chalked off as the Fenerbahce man was adjudged by the referee to have fouled the shot-stopper before putting the ball at the back of the net.
On the stroke of half-time, Agbenyenu hit a shot across the face of goal but Ayew failed to connect from three yards.
The second half was keenly contested, resulting in no clear-cut chances for either side until the 82nd minute when Ekuban scored.
The Italian-born striker hit a first-time left-footed shot from just inside the box, the effort proving too strong for goalkeeper Matasi as the Black Stars secured a hard-fought 1-0 win in Accra.
- Nurse who was verbally abused by Ashanti Region NSS Boss no longer at Manhyia Hospital – GRNMA
- Petrol, diesel prices to go down by 10% – IES
- That is not my style – Ashanti Regional NSS boss apologises for insulting nurses
- Moody’s downgrades Ghana to further junk status, warns investors could lose in debt restructuring
- NSS summons Ashanti Region boss for investigation
- Dubai’s ENOC denies gold-for-oil barter talks with Ghana
- ‘You’ll see, more is coming from my boy’ – Andre Ayew on Kudus’ future
- 14 pupils receiving treatment after school bus somersaults, falls into a ditch
- Ronaldo receives $225m offer to play for Saudi Arabian club
- Why General Arts students are ‘bleeding’ on social media
- Royal Choice Academy wins Jan Binder green and sanitation contest for basic schools
- Wenchi High Court throws out petition against NPP MP’s 2020 election victory
- Ghana will go down the drain should 2023 budget be delayed – Deputy Finance Minister warns
- Peace Council moves to address allegations of ethnic identity-based discrimination, marginalization by Ewes
- Is it unrealistic to expect that my spouse’s life revolves around me?
- “We’ve been tracking Mohammed Kudus for more than one year” – Barcelona Director
- Pork prices up by 40% in three months
- 2022 World Cup: Ghana will not be seeking revenge against Uruguay – Otto Addo
- Increasing VAT rate was a lazy approach to burden faithful few – Bokpin
- ACCE charges new inductees to exude professionalism
- Afrobarometer receives major boost with $6m grant from Sweden
- Cement Producers bewail fall in demand due to high cost of production
- EOCO recovers over ¢27m crime monies in 10 months
- Throw in the towel; I’ll win this election hands down – Ofosu Ampofo tells Asiedu Nketia
- A draw could be good for us but we want to win – Otto Addo on Uruguay clash