Audio By Carbonatix
Twenty-nine police officers have been suspended in Germany for sharing pictures of Adolf Hitler and doctored depictions of refugees in gas chambers on their mobile phones, officials in the state of North Rhine-Westphalia (NRW) said on Wednesday.
They are also accused of using far-right chatrooms where extremist content, such as Swastikas and other Nazi symbols, that breaches the German constitution was shared.
The incident is embarrassing for German police and security agencies, who have faced accusations of not doing enough to unearth potentially violent nationalists in their ranks.
It is a sensitive issue in a country where awareness of the World War Two genocide of millions of Jews by the Nazis under Hitler is strong.
“This is a disgrace for the NRW police,” said NRW Interior Minister Herbert Reul, announcing an investigation against 29 male and female officers.
Some of the suspects could be charged with disseminating Nazi propaganda and hate speech and could be dismissed from the police. Others are accused of failing to report their colleagues.
“I’m appalled and ashamed,” said Frank Richter, chief of the police force in the city of Essen where most of the suspects worked. “It is hard to find words.”
German prosecutors said last month they were investigating a retired police officer suspected of sending threatening emails, signed with the name of a gang of neo-Nazi killers, to prominent figures of immigrant background.
The emails, including some sent to legislators with a Turkish background, were signed “NSU 2.0”, a reference to the “National Socialist Underground” neo-Nazi gang, which killed 10 people, mainly immigrants, between 2000 and 2007.
Latest Stories
-
Ghana’s mining deaths fall sharply, but Chamber insists ‘three deaths are too many’
2 minutes -
Tatale Sanguli officials destroy expired food products, warn traders
8 minutes -
Police arrest two watchmen over alleged defilement of 14-year-old student
14 minutes -
The woman behind General Mosquito: Could Ghana be meeting its next First Lady?
15 minutes -
Court remands man over alleged Labone bank robbery attempt
19 minutes -
Supreme Court to rule today on challenge to legal vacation warrants
25 minutes -
Tamale Metropolitan Assembly distributes 10,000 bags of fertiliser to farmers
30 minutes -
TUSAAG suspends strike, resumes work after renewed talks with government
34 minutes -
PIAC marks 15 years of oil revenue accountability and transparency
41 minutes -
Adongo calls for non-political interference in $1.46bn Heritage Fund review
46 minutes -
FDA records GH¢70m surplus in 2025 amid concerns over ageing lab equipment
47 minutes -
Arise Ghana demands stronger commitment to end galamsey
49 minutes -
96% of Ghanaian pensioners willing to work beyond retirement age – Study
53 minutes -
Ghana gets nuclear power plant simulator
59 minutes -
Temporary Akosombo power control facility to be ready by September – Energy Ministry
60 minutes