Five Ghanaians are representing the country in the 2020 African Draughts Championship. The tournament is taking place online because of the coronavirus pandemic.
The players are Edmund Crystal Owusu, Michael Abu, Yaw Obeng, Stephen Kwaku Owusu and Joshua Armah.
The Ghana Draughts Federation based in Amakom, Ghana’s biggest draught playing hub started preparing players for international games back in 2012.
The team’s first international tournament took place in Malawi in 2018, where Michael Abu won bronze.
The team was supposed to participate in the World Draughts Championship in California when the country went into lockdown.
This year’s game will last for five weeks.
The team leader, Edmund Crystal Owusu has been taking the players through the rudiments of the online game.
“Though they know how to use the computer, using it to play games is quite different, so I had to log in all the members and show them many things,” he said.
Bronze medalist, Michael Abu is confident the team will win big in this year’s competition.
“Because of the education we’ve had, I know how to use the computer well and I know I’ll sail through” he is hopeful.
President of Ghana Draughts Federation, Nana Obeng Afriyie says his outfit will be scouting players nationwide to reinforce their place in Africa.
“We’ll be recruiting players in the regions and train them for Africa so we can win the competition,” he hinted.
- Request for Chief Justice to be suspended premature – Presidency
- #FixTheCountry protestors hit the streets of Accra
- Hushpuppi paid Deputy Police Commissioner over $20k to detain his ‘co-conspirator’ Chibuzo – FBI alleges
- Playback: #FixTheCountry demo comes off today
- “No due diligence or value for money”- How some MPs kicked against Saglemi Housing project in 2012
- ‘How can people lie like this?’ – E. T. Mensah on NDC’s Saglemi Housing project defence
- 256 more people killed in road crashes in July alone
- Akorfa Edjeani on how a role affected a home
- Government accused of ignoring IMF prescriptions in Mid-Year Budget
- Coral Reef Innovation Lab introduces Edtech Ghana Hackathon 2021 to improve teaching and learning
Founders’ Day: We must work to free ourselves from colonial power that binds us – Akufo-Addo
GIPC launches ‘Spark Up’ to account for disbursement of investments
Police suspect foul play in the death of man who killed wife in front of children
Eastern Regional Hospital produces Covid-19 test results within 4 hours
National Pensions Regulatory Authority guarantees safety of pension funds
Akuapem Gold Agro Processing Company builds huge raw material base to secure business sustainability
Dormaa East MP charges Covid-19 task force to arrest, prosecute persons flouting safety protocols
Madina Job Center begins 2nd Phase of Youth in Fashion Design Programme
10 more deaths recorded in Ghana’s Covid-19 fight
Volta, Bono, Bono East regions emerge as Covid-19 hotspots
FDA assures Ghanaians of authenticity of antigen test at KIA
C-BAG President calls on government, institutions to support development of campus radio in Ghana
Police close to arresting suspect in murder of police woman
Fidelity Bank, MDF West Africa train SMEs on international trade navigation
‘How can people lie like this?’ – E. T. Mensah on NDC’s Saglemi Housing project defence