Audio By Carbonatix
Barcelona have appointed Argentine Gerardo Martino as their new coach after he agreed a two-year contract.
The 50-year-old former Paraguay coach replaces Tito Vilanova, who stepped down as Barcelona manager to continue his treatment for cancer.
Martino was most recently in charge of Newell's Old Boys, who he led to the Argentine Clausura title last season.
He becomes the fourth Argentine to manage Barca after Helenio Herrera, Roque Olsen and Cesar Luis Menotti.
The Barcelona post is Martino's first job outside of South America since a six-month spell playing for Tenerife in 1991.
A number of coaches had been linked to the vacant position, including former Barcelona B boss Luis Enrique, Tottenham's Andre Villas-Boas, Swansea's Michael Laudrup and Guus Hiddink, who quit as coach Anzhi Makhachkala on Monday.
However, the Catalan club have ignored more high-profile candidates in favour of Martino who is considered to have a similar style to former Athletic Bilbao manager Marcelo Bielsa,
Martino was a key player for in the Newell's Old Boys side that Bielsa managed in the early 1990s and both hail from the Argentine city of Rosario.
Barcelona captain Carles Puyol says Martino's managerial style will fit in with the playing philosophy at the Nou Camp.
"We know about his career, he is a very good coach," Puyol said before Martino's appointment was confirmed.
"He likes Barcelona's playing style. I think all the names mentioned are capable of coaching this team.
"We have a certain way of playing; a philosophy. The coach that comes in will follow that line and I'm sure that Zubi (sporting director Andoni Zubizarreta) and the directors want a coach that can adapt to our characteristics."
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Cedi’s year-to-date loss slumps to 4.09% as recent gains gather pace
10 minutes -
‘Home has spoken’ – Justin Kodua Frimpong says as Ashanti delegates back his re-election bid
14 minutes -
Mustapha Abdul-Hamid, seven others’ NPA case adjourned to August 27
23 minutes -
Alima Mahama Refund: Jinapor challenges Ablakwa’s authority, says only Auditor-General can surcharge
23 minutes -
Wontumi Conviction: 2 star witnesses placed under police protection amid death threats
38 minutes -
Srem-Sai reveals surge in death threats after Wontumi conviction
46 minutes -
GCB, Ecobank, 4 others are top tier banks in Ghana – PwC Banking Survey
54 minutes -
Today’s front pages: Tuesday, August 18, 2026
2 hours -
Banks’ sustainable success will be defined less by interest margins – PwC
3 hours -
CJ Baffor-Bonnie was part of ‘grand conspiracy to remove Torkornoo – Afenyo-Markin alleges
3 hours -
The GIPA Act: Resetting Ghana’s investment framework
4 hours -
GIPA secures investor leads at Invest Fest 2026
4 hours -
Ghana’s missing billions: What 16 years of Auditor-General reports show
4 hours -
Police disown viral flyer on AirPods, earphones use while driving
4 hours -
Stop using media to challenge judicial decisions – Thaddeus Sory to lawyers
4 hours