Audio By Carbonatix
Caster Semenya will not compete at the World Championships in Doha after a Swiss court stood behind an IAAF rule that would require her to take testosterone-reducing medication.
The South African had been expected to defend her world 800m title in late September after the Swiss Supreme Court had temporarily exempted her from an IAAF rule relating to athletes with differences in sexual development (DSD). That decision has now been overturned by a tribunal at the same court.
In a statement issued through her PR agency, Semenya said: “I am very disappointed to be kept from defending my hard-earned title, but this will not deter me from continuing my fight for the human rights of all of the female athletes concerned.”
Last month the Swiss Supreme Court temporarily suspended the IAAF rule that requires all DSD athletes to reduce their testosterone to below five nmol/L for at least six months if they want to compete internationally at all distances from 400m to a mile.
The rule had been at the centre of a landmark case brought against the IAAF by Semenya at the court of arbitration for sport (Cas). That case found in favour of the international athletic body and its claim that high levels of testosterone provided a material advantage in women’s competition.
Semenya has refused to take hormone medication and is in the process of appealing against the Cas decision. A temporary stay of the rule had been granted while that appeal continued but the court decided to overturn that decision after finding that the “high threshold” for any suspension had not been fulfilled.
Dorothee Schramm, the lawyer leading her appeal, said: “The judge’s procedural decision has no impact on the appeal itself. We will continue to pursue Caster’s appeal and fight for her fundamental human rights. A race is always decided at the finish line.”
In a statement, the IAAF said: “We understand the Swiss Federal Tribunal will be issuing its full decision on this order tomorrow (Wednesday) and the IAAF will comment once the tribunal makes its reasoning public.”
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Data is the new gold — but most nations are still digging with shovels
4 minutes -
Tourism Minister pledges action on cultural infrastructure, pushes domestic tourism in Upper West
5 minutes -
“Measure success by the clinic, not the conference” — Mahama urges global health reform
13 minutes -
Charlotte Osei: Why sponsoring festivals like Oguaa Fetu Afahye is smart business
13 minutes -
“Let us not let reform be a ceiling” — Mahama calls for bold global health reforms
20 minutes -
BECE examination malpractices: Is there an end in sight?
29 minutes -
We’re not in Geneva to mourn aid cuts but to build health sovereignty — Mahama at 79th World Health Assembly
32 minutes -
Mahama calls for African ‘health sovereignty’ as global aid declines
38 minutes -
Africa cannot claim health sovereignty while producing less than 1% of vaccines — Mahama
42 minutes -
BoG undertakes new measures to strengthen financial sector – Second Deputy Governor
43 minutes -
The ‘forgotten Ghanaian fugitive with American and Ghanaian passports
50 minutes -
US aid suspension costs Ghana $78m, Mahama tells World Health Assembly
51 minutes -
Mahama touts Ghana’s free primary healthcare programme at World Health Assembly
60 minutes -
Africa must take control of its health future — Mahama
1 hour -
Ghana on alert following Ebola outbreak in Uganda and DR Congo – Ministry of Health
1 hour