Audio By Carbonatix
Michael Essien is close to finalising a move to AC Milan despite a late enquiry from West Ham.
The Ghana international is keen on a move abroad and his agents held lengthy talks with the Serie A club on Thursday as they look to agree terms. The 31-year-old was also considered by West Ham as they continue to weigh up midfield options.
The Chelsea midfielder has made just five Premier League appearances for the club since Jose Mourinho went back to Stamford Bridge last summer.

It was always the case that Essien would be allowed to look elsewhere this transfer window, and Milan is a destination of choice.
The Ghanian's agent is talking with representatives at AC over a deal that will enhance the player's chances of playing a key role during this summer's World Cup in Brazil.
That is something Mourinho has always remained mindful of.
'I offer nobody - not Michael, not nobody (guaranteed playing time),' the Portuguese said earlier this month.
'I understand that players think about national team, the World Cup and playing regularly, but my players have to think of the team before the players. Michael knows that perfectly.'
Essien has only played one full 90 minutes for Chelsea this campaign - the win over Crystal Palace in December.
He was omitted from the club's Champions League squad, and his agent claimed they were looking to explore options in that competition.
'Several major European clubs playing in the Champions League were informed and the situation should settle down within the next 10 days,' his agent Fabian Piveteau said last month.
'You should know that Michael was not on the list of players who can play in the Champions League with Chelsea, so he is free to play in the competition with another club.'
Milan face Atletico Madrid in the second round, with the first leg at the San Siro on February 19.
Meanwhile, Trabzonspor are preparing to launch another bid to sign Demba Ba after his move to Turkey was put on ice following Fernando Torres' injury.
Trabzonspor president Ibrahim Haciosmanoglu said: 'We had agreed terms with Demba Ba. However, following Fernando Torres' injury (Jose) Mourinho made it clear that they didn't want to let go of Ba just yet. Despite this we are still interested in Ba.'
Latest Stories
-
Another centenary in Keta: Vodza RC School
9 minutes -
GES engages teacher unions over concerns about 2025 promotion dates
15 minutes -
Ghana must move from participation to ownership in petroleum sector – Jinapor
25 minutes -
Government moves to restore investor confidence as Ghana seeks to revive oil production
28 minutes -
Kingsley Agyemang calls for legally protected fund to tackle Africa’s flood risk
30 minutes -
Andre Ayew Backs Grassroots Sports as Ghana-Anhui Chamber Donates 2,120 Items for Constituency Games
34 minutes -
Hostel Owners Association accuse Rent Control of threats, unfair treatment to operators
39 minutes -
NSA opens special desk to resolve Ghana Card, school biodata mismatches
41 minutes -
Ghana hosts Kenya, Netherlands, South Africa for talks on turning climate plans into action
58 minutes -
‘Now it’s action, no talking’ – Rent Control cracks whip on hostel operators
1 hour -
GACC, Save Our Environment Foundation train Tano South residents on corruption and accountability
1 hour -
MOGMusic to headline Ransomed Ministries Ghana’s Total Worship 2026
1 hour -
Multimedia Group pays courtesy call on Petrosol ahead of corporate bond listing
1 hour -
Gov’t acknowledges unresolved grievances over mining damage, displacement
1 hour -
Joy FM to host maiden Back-to-School PrayerFest ahead of new academic year
1 hour