Audio By Carbonatix
The leadership of the Health Workers Group has expressed disappointment at the Health Ministry's directive to the Controller and Accountant General to freeze salaries of health workers.
The affected health workers are those who took part in a unilateral 10-day strike in Accra at the beginning of March.
The Chief Director of the Ministry of Health, Lepowura M.N.D. Jawula on March 7th wrote to direct the freeze of the salaries.
But the President of the Group, Steven Corquaye says the directive is unfortunate and could disturb the industrial peace pertaining in the country.
He explained that the group called off their strike as a show of good goodwill to await the report of the Appellate Body and did not expect to be victimized.
Mr. Corquaye said “If that directive is carried out it will be an unfortunate decision because that will not augur well for our rank and file. As much as we the leadership have tried very much to call off the strike…to convince our rank and file to call off the strike, I think government should have reciprocated our kind gesture and not to actually bring out certain threats that might inflate passions so far as our membership is concerned.”
He maintained that the health workers would not have embarked on the strike in the first place if the Appellate Body had completed its work on time.
He said health workers are at the end of their patience, describing the strike as one for a legitimate cause which should not earn the workers the intimated punishment.
The Health Ministry however says severe sanctions including dismissals will soon be handed those involved.
Managers of hospitals and polyclinics have been directed to compile lists of staff who joined the industrial action between the 1st and 10th of March.
A source at the Ministry told Joy News that sanctions will be based on the number of days health workers absented themselves.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Chief of Staff calls for stronger enforcement of motorcycle safety measures
18 minutes -
Peace Council urges Naaga residents to report extremist activities
19 minutes -
Ghana hosts Africa CDC regional meeting on strengthening health security
20 minutes -
MTN Ghana deepens sustainability drive with focus on waste, digital inclusion
21 minutes -
AMA deploys taskforce to clamp down on drivers charging unapproved fares
22 minutes -
House of Hope receives clothing donation for human trafficking survivors
23 minutes -
KNUST statutes review sparks tensions as some UTAG members threaten strike
24 minutes -
Poor website accessibility could exclude persons with disabilities from essential services
30 minutes -
Internet Society Ghana trains persons with disabilities on digital accessibility
33 minutes -
National Service Authority receives GH¢40m for basic military training
36 minutes -
Türkiye’s exports to Africa rise 12.6% to $13.3bn in seven months
2 hours -
Togo detains two French journalists and their Togolese fixer
2 hours -
Today’s Front pages: Thursday, August 20, 2026
2 hours -
GIPA, GUTA outline roadmap to protect informal retail space for Ghanaians
2 hours -
GIPA invites investors to maiden ‘Invest Ghana Summit’
2 hours