Audio By Carbonatix
Harry Redknapp has quit as manager of Premier League strugglers Queens Park Rangers.
The 67-year-old took the decision to step aside on Tuesday morning after just over two years in charge of the west London club.
In a statement released on QPR's official website, Redknapp revealed he is to undergo knee replacement surgery in the coming weeks and does not feel he will be able to give 100 percent to the job.
He leaves with the Hoops sitting second from bottom in the Premier League, having won just five of their 23 games this season.
Les Ferdinand and Chris Ramsey have been placed in temporary charge while chairman Tony Fernandes decides on a permanent successor.
The departure of Redknapp, who had been under intense pressure for months, comes on the back of a 3-1 defeat at Stoke on Saturday and a disappointing transfer window, which saw QPR miss out on targets including Emmanuel Adebayor and Matt Jarvis.
"I have had such a fantastic time at QPR. I would like to thank the Board, the players and all my staff, and especially the supporters who have been absolutely fantastic to me since I arrived at the club for their tremendous support," said Redknapp.
“Sadly I need immediate surgery on my knee which is going to stop me from doing my job in the coming weeks. It means I won’t be able to be out on the training pitch every day, and if I can’t give 100 percent I feel it’s better for someone else to take over the reins.
“My relationship with Tony Fernandes has been one of the highlights of my footballing career and I wish the club every success. I am confident they will survive in the Premier League this year.”
Fernandes added: “I would like to take this opportunity to thank Harry for everything he has done for QPR during his time in charge.
“We part on good terms and I would personally like to wish him all the best for the future.”
Latest Stories
-
Ga-Dangmes urged to preserve lands, culture for future generations
8 minutes -
Organised Labour pledges support for IPEC establishment
20 minutes -
South Africa returnees form ‘Evacuation Boys’ to support sanitation in Ghana
23 minutes -
Tema Traditional Council calls for cleaner environment, responsible parenting
29 minutes -
Ghana–Namibia relations must be people-centred – Gunu
35 minutes -
Dialogue is key in the establishment of IPEC – Labour Minister
35 minutes -
FWSC consults Organised Labour on transition to IPEC
48 minutes -
Why Afrobeats artistes shouldn’t stick to what fans like – Rema
1 hour -
Ghana Water Limited clarifies mandate over river turbidity data
1 hour -
Oil climbs as fading US-Iran peace hopes raise supply risks
1 hour -
Gold extends gains on easing rate-hike fears, markets await Fed minutes
1 hour -
Nvidia to provide up to $105 billion guarantee for OpenAI’s Ohio data center
2 hours -
Anthropic revenue run rate tops $65 billion, source says
2 hours -
Tesla prepares for Cybercab launch in August starting with rides to employees
2 hours -
Google to buy Spirit Airlines business data for $10 million
2 hours