Audio By Carbonatix
The family of a person who has tested positive for Covid-19 in Kumasi are worried they may contract the disease after their relative was compelled to self-isolate at home.
The wife of the patient, Cynthia [not her real name] said her husband is now in a separate room at home where she periodically goes in with a face mask to administer drugs.
“My husband tested positive for Covid-19 last week and he was asked to self isolate because the isolation centre is full.
"So we have been keeping him in the house together with rest of the family...but we fear that we will contract the virus],” she said.
The patient was reportedly referred from Suntreso Hospital to Kumasi South Hospital only to be told the isolation centre could not accommodate him.
Narrating the incidence she said, “We had to rush him to the Suntrseo Hospital because he is an asthmatic patient and had difficulty breathing. When the nurses realised he was a Covid-19 patient upon arrival, we were referred to Kumasi South Hospital.”
“We came in with our private car so we were asked to drive to the Kumasi South Hospital where upon reaching there the doctors told us that the holding rooms and isolation rooms are full, so we should return home.”
The woman lamented her only fear is that the rest of the family, mainly children may be infected.
She is now home with her sick husband and the rest of the family, hoping he will recover with the drugs she has been giving him.
Medical Superintendent at Suntreso Hospital, Dr Thomas Agyarko-Poku, will not comment on the specific issue but indicates circumstances under which a patient will be referred.
“The protocol is that when you test for Covid-19 and the condition is mild you are asked to self- isolate,’’ he pointed out.
Dr Agyarko -Poku explains that, “the isolation centers are almost full, therefore, it is prudent additional facilities are earmarked as isolation centers, as the numbers keep surging.”
Latest Stories
-
Papaye, KFC and Pizzaman customers among most targeted as TrustGH uncovers nearly 1,000 scam numbers cloning Google business profiles of major food chains
9 minutes -
2026 U20 WWC: ‘We are in a tough group’ – Black Princesses’ Linda Owusu Ansah
16 minutes -
2026 U20 WWC: Ghana’s Ambassador to Czech Republic welcomes Black Princesses to Poland
43 minutes -
Oti NPP executives demand completion of stalled government projects
55 minutes -
Jinapor demands answers as Alima Mahama is asked to pay for Embassy spending outside her tenure
1 hour -
Russia doubles scholarships for Ghanaian students to 240 annually
1 hour -
Cedi’s year-to-date loss slumps to 4.09% as recent gains gather pace
1 hour -
‘Home has spoken’ – Justin Kodua Frimpong says as Ashanti delegates back his re-election bid
1 hour -
Mustapha Abdul-Hamid, seven others’ NPA case adjourned to August 27
2 hours -
Alima Mahama Refund: Jinapor challenges Ablakwa’s authority, says only Auditor-General can surcharge
2 hours -
Wontumi Conviction: 2 star witnesses placed under police protection amid death threats
2 hours -
Srem-Sai reveals surge in death threats after Wontumi conviction
2 hours -
GCB, Ecobank, 4 others are top tier banks in Ghana – PwC Banking Survey
2 hours -
Today’s front pages: Tuesday, August 18, 2026
3 hours -
Banks’ sustainable success will be defined less by interest margins – PwC
4 hours