Audio By Carbonatix
Several people were killed as devastating storms and heavy floods hit regions in France, Italy, Austria and Switzerland over the weekend, inundating homes and sweeping away cars and bridges.
Italian media on Sunday raised the death toll to seven.
Five bodies had been found on the coast in Liguria. It is believed they could have been swept into the sea by swollen rivers. One of the victims could even come from France.
Most people who had been reported missing - up to 20 at times - have been found as of Sunday, but authorities continue to warn of flood hazards.
Cities in the Piedmont region were especially hard hit, with the mayor of Limone Piemonte in the Cuneo province speaking of a "catastrophic situation" in his city overwhelmed by flooding.
In parts of north-western Italy, the amount of rainfall between Friday and Saturday hadn't been seen in some 60 years.
In Venice, the new Mose flood defence system faced its first real test and seemed to have worked: Despite high water levels, St Mark's Square, in the heart of the city, stayed dry.
Venice Mayor Luigi Brugnaro spoke of a "historic day" for the lagoon city. "In the presence of a tide that would have flooded the city … we have shown that Mose works," he said in a statement.
South-eastern France also felt the effects of the storms, with people in the hinterland of the city of Nice cut off from the outside world.
Residents were being provided with food and water.
French Prime Minister, Jean Castex said Saturday that the army has been deployed to help and expressed worry about "the final balance" as at least eight people were said to be missing.
Late Sunday, helpers found one man dead in his car, the AFP news agency reported.
In Austria, a 4-year-old child died when she was hit by a falling tree.
Heavy rains in Switzerland forced the closure of a major motorway on Saturday.
Latest Stories
-
Adamus welcomes 12-month roadmap to revive mine, restore investor confidence
6 minutes -
T-bills: Government records 162% oversubscription, interest rates slump
9 minutes -
UPSA moves to turn student research into market-ready solutions
10 minutes -
Presby SHS, Suhum honour late coordinator with dominant One-Eighth qualification
42 minutes -
NDC Volta team tracks development projects across four districts
46 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: St. Monica’s SHS snatch one-eighth ticket from Amenfiman SHS in dramatic showdown
49 minutes -
Why celebrate $2.62bn FDI while losing $1.7bn under the Domestic Gold Programme? IERPP asks
51 minutes -
COKA urges NPP executives to return to party’s core values ahead of 2028
53 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: Nsutaman stages comeback against Serwaa Nyarko Girls, Hope College to book One-Eighth spot
1 hour -
NSMQ 2026: Fafraha Community SHS defy odds to secure one-eighth spot
1 hour -
Tolon Naa dies days after Yaa Naa, plunging Dagbon into further mourning
2 hours -
CLOGSAG’s Bampoe Addo was a formidable voice for workers – FWSC eulogises
2 hours -
Galamsey destroys over 100 acres of farmland at Akyem Atobriso
2 hours -
GRIDCo completes tower replacement on Tema-Achimota transmission line
2 hours -
Republic Bank-JoyNews Habitat Fair Mini Clinic ends on a high note at Achimota Retail Centre
2 hours