Audio By Carbonatix
The use of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine has been suspended in the Republic of Ireland.
The National Immunisation Advisory Committee (NIAC) recommended the move following reports of serious blood clotting events in adults in Norway.
In a tweet, the Irish Minister for Health Stephen Donnelly said it was a "precautionary step".
The World Health Organisation has said there was no link between the jab and an increased risk of developing a clot.
Last week, Denmark and Norway suspended the use of vaccine.
On Friday, the World Health Organisation said countries should not stop using the vaccine over fears it causes blood clots as there is no indication this is true.
More than 110,000 doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine have been administered in Ireland, which is about 20% of all doses given to date.
The decision to temporarily suspend use of the AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine was based on new information from Norway that emerged late last night. This is a precautionary step. The National Immunisation Advisory Comm meets again this morning and we’ll provide an update after that
— Stephen Donnelly (@DonnellyStephen) March 14, 2021
Earlier on Sunday, Ireland's Deputy Chief Medical Officer Dr Ronan Glynn said new information was received from the Norwegian Medicines Agency on Saturday night.
"It has not been concluded that there is any link between the Covid-19 vaccine AstraZeneca and these cases," he said.
"However, acting on the precautionary principle, and pending receipt of further information, the National Immunisation Advisory Committee has recommended the temporary deferral of the Covid-19 vaccine AstraZeneca vaccination programme in Ireland."
In a statement to RTÉ, AstraZeneca said that an analysis of safety data covering more than 17 million doses of the vaccine administered has shown no evidence of an increased risk of the conditions concerned and that no trends or patterns were observed in clinical trials.
"In fact, the reported numbers of these types of events for Covid-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca are not greater than the number that would have occurred naturally in the unvaccinated population," said a spokesperson.
"A careful review of all available safety data including these events is ongoing and AstraZeneca is committed to sharing information without delay."
Northern Ireland's Health Minister Robin Swann tweeted that Covid-19 vaccines are administered "under the expert direct of the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA).
Last week, after Iceland, Norway and Denmark suspended the use of the Oxford-AstraZeneca, the MHRA said people should continue to get vaccinated.
"Blood clots can occur naturally and are not uncommon. More than 11 million doses of the Covid-19 AstraZeneca vaccine have now been administered across the UK," said Phil Bryan of the MHRA.
"We are keeping this issue under close review but available evidence does not confirm that the vaccine is the cause."
We administer COVID-19 vaccines under the expert direction of the MHRA.
— Robin Swann MLA #StopCovidNI (@RobinSwannMoH) March 14, 2021
The MHRA issued the statement below on Thursday. Similar advice was issued by the WHO and the European Medicines Agency.https://t.co/OYoL1VPde1@MHRAgovuk
The Public Health Agency in NI said it would "closely monitor" the situation.
"From our perspective the vaccine is safe and we're continuing to use it," said Dr Stephen Bergin, interim Director of Public Health.
"We've had good experience over the last three months now, we've had over 600,000 people vaccinated, not all of course with this particular vaccine."
Latest Stories
-
GTA 6 leaks – a nightmare or a blip for the biggest video game of the year?
4 hours -
Two injured in stabbing attack at Canada Sikh temple
4 hours -
Modi spent years building his strong image – why is he making Gen Z reels now?
4 hours -
Canada ‘should fight’ as US trade deadline looms, Manitoba premier says
4 hours -
Man Utd agree ÂŁ70m fee for Brighton’s Baleba
5 hours -
Inter-Agency Football Gala: YEA organize event as part of National Youth Month celebration
5 hours -
Receiver fights High Court order to hand over No.1 Oxford Street Hotel to Cheddar’s company
5 hours -
Partey begins new chapter in Saudi Arabia with Al Shabab
5 hours -
NSMQ 2026: St. Francis Xavier deny debutants Pentecost SHS one-eighth spot
5 hours -
One killed in sword attack at Swedish school
5 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Tamale SHS sweep aside Kalpohin, Wenchi Methodist to reach one-eighth stage
6 hours -
Tupac murder accused told police in 2008 his nephew fired fatal shots
6 hours -
Heart of the Beast to Practical Magic 2: 10 of the best films to watch this September
6 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Tears of relief as Labone SHS survive Notre Dame Sem. in thriller to secure one-eighth spot
7 hours -
Onga Tomato Mix unveils Diana Hamilton as Brand Ambassador
7 hours