Audio By Carbonatix
The National Commission on Civic Education (NCCE) say they are perturbed about the general disinterest and disregard for the Covid-19 safety protocols among the Ghanaian public especially after the country recorded the Delta variant of Covid-19.
According to NCCE, the confirmation of the highly transmissible variant in Ghana has heightened concerns in the country.
In a press release, the agency stated that “the current rate of infection of this new variant has been determined by the WHO as a variant of concern. Scientists say the new variant makes patients sicker with 43% - 90% more transmissible than the previous COVID-19 variants.”
“In spite of the stringent measures outlined by the Government to manage the spread of the virus including the mandatory wearing of masks, social distancing protocols at public events, the rigorous public education, the maximum number of 100 participants at gatherings, it appears citizens have reverted to a lifestyle prior to the global pandemic.”
NCCE stated that the disregard for the Covid-19 protocols by the citizenry is a potential recipe of disaster comparable to other countries ravaged by the Delta variant of the virus.
The NCCE’s concerns come after government revealed that the country has recorded its first-ever Delta Variant of the SARS-Cov-2 virus within its borders.
In a press release dated Friday, the Information Ministry said the Ghana Health Service (GHS) confirmed that the undisclosed community reported its cases at 10 am on Friday, July 2.
On Sunday, July 4, the Director-General of the Ghana Health Service (GHS), Dr Patrick Kuma Aboagye revealed some 134 students and a staff of Achimota School have tested positive for Covid-19, with most cases said to be the new Delta Variant.
According to him, the first three cases were detected in some students between June 14 and 16, this year.
“All 135 cases at the time of diagnosis were either asymptomatic or had very mild to moderate illness. One member of staff is among those affected,” he said.
So far, 89 students have recovered while 46 of the remaining cases are still active, the GES Director-General added.
NCCE has, therefore, called on all stakeholders including the media, religious bodies, vocational and professional bodies, private and public institutions not to relent in encouraging the public to be cautious and vigilant and to take urgent action in curbing the potential spread of the third wave of Covid-19 in Ghana.
“Complacency and carelessness cannot be countenanced by anyone. It is in our greatest interest to prevent the spread by acting responsibly. Remember your action or omission to adhere to the protocols can save or lose your life and that of a loved one,” parts of the statement read.
Reiterating the need to ensure strict observance of the safety protocols at all times, NCCE stated that after having observed how rapidly Covid-19 could overwhelm health systems, it is obvious the country cannot lose its guard.
“We must intensify our collective fight against the disease,” the agency added.
Latest Stories
-
Mali renews Barrick Mining’s Loulo license for 10 more years
35 minutes -
Gender pay gap won’t close for another 30 years, warns UK trade unions group
45 minutes -
No free pass for internet platforms on child safety, Starmer says
56 minutes -
Andrew’s time as trade envoy should be investigated, says Vince Cable
1 hour -
‘Trump will be gone in three years’: Top Democrats try to reassure Europe
1 hour -
Cuban cigar festival called off as US blockade worsens energy crisis
1 hour -
Head of Dubai-based ports giant quits after Epstein links revealed
2 hours -
Nigeria’s state-owned NNPC records $4.2 billion after-tax profit in 2025
2 hours -
French tourist found dead in Chad after falling off cliff
2 hours -
Asuogyaman MP commissions four projects, breaks ground for more on birthday
2 hours -
GNFS averts potential petrol tanker explosion at Aveme Junction
2 hours -
Ferocious fire at Agatex Paint Factory in Ho contained
3 hours -
MTN Ghana drives nationwide blood mobilisation in partnership with Ho Teaching Hospital
3 hours -
MTN Ghana leads lifesaving blood drive as Ho Teaching Hospital warns of critical shortages
3 hours -
KNUST dominate maiden SEEDAfrique Relay Open Championship in Kumasi
3 hours
