Audio By Carbonatix
The Tanzanian government has denied allegations that villagers have been subjected to abuses, including forced evictions, as part of a project to expand a national park in the south of the country.
On Tuesday, the World Bank said it had suspended its funding of a $150m (ÂŁ120m) tourism project in Ruaha National Park, saying it was deeply concerned about the allegations.
“The Tanzanian government does not violate human rights when implementing all its projects, including this one being funded by the World Bank,” government spokesperson Mobhare Matinyi told state broadcaster TBC.
“What happened is that the World Bank received some reports from civil society organisations that cast some doubts on the project, alleging some human rights violations in the area. The reports are not true."

Known as Resilient Natural Resource Management for Tourism and Growth (Regrow), the project seeks to "improve the management of natural resources and tourism assets" in southern Tanzania, the World Bank previously said.
Mr Matinyi told a local newspaper that the World Bank has so far disbursed $125m (ÂŁ101m) of its funding for Regrow, which launched in 2017.
Last year, American think-tank Oakland Institute reported that villagers had been raped by rangers and were being evicted from their land because the park was being expanded.
Oakland Institute also pointed to reports, from a Tanzanian MP and a community organisation, that rangers had allegedly killed villagers.
Latest Stories
-
Police arrest two watchmen over alleged defilement of 14-year-old student
45 seconds -
The woman behind General Mosquito: Could Ghana be meeting its next First Lady?
2 minutes -
Court remands man over alleged Labone bank robbery attempt
6 minutes -
Supreme Court to rule today on challenge to legal vacation warrants
12 minutes -
Tamale Metropolitan Assembly distributes 10,000 bags of fertiliser to farmers
17 minutes -
TUSAAG suspends strike, resumes work after renewed talks with government
21 minutes -
PIAC marks 15 years of oil revenue accountability and transparency
28 minutes -
Adongo calls for non-political interference in $1.46bn Heritage Fund reviewÂ
33 minutes -
FDA records GH¢70m surplus in 2025 amid concerns over ageing lab equipment
34 minutes -
Arise Ghana demands stronger commitment to end galamsey
36 minutes -
96% of Ghanaian pensioners willing to work beyond retirement age – Study
40 minutes -
Ghana gets nuclear power plant simulatorÂ
46 minutes -
Temporary Akosombo power control facility to be ready by September – Energy Ministry
47 minutes -
GMTF, Atlantic Lifesciences explore local production of cancer and heart medicines
51 minutes -
GHS medical-legal claims hit GH¢400m in three years
57 minutes