Audio By Carbonatix
Former Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte was served an Interpol arrest warrant from the International Criminal Court on his arrival at Manila's main airport on Tuesday, the government said.
The ICC has said it would pursue an investigation of suspected crimes against humanity related to Duterte's role in overseeing a bloody "war on drugs" that killed thousands of Filipinos.
Duterte had said on Monday in Hong Kong that he was ready to be arrested if the ICC issued a warrant and has repeatedly defended the anti-drugs crackdown. He has denied ordering police to kill drug suspects unless in self-defence.
The office of President Ferdinand Marcos Jr said it received an official copy of the warrant, which was served on Duterte by police. Duterte was now in custody, it said in a statement.
Duterte's former legal counsel Salvador Panelo said the arrest was unlawful, and said the police did not allow one of his lawyers to meet Duterte at the airport.
The firebrand Duterte unilaterally withdrew the Philippines from the ICC's founding treaty in 2019 when it started looking into allegations of systematic extrajudicial killings, and the Philippines had until last year refused to cooperate with the ICC investigation.
The "war on drugs" was the signature campaign policy that swept Duterte to power in 2016 as a maverick, crime-busting mayor, who delivered on promises he made during vitriolic speeches to kill thousands of narcotics dealers.
According to police, 6,200 suspects were killed during anti-drug operations that they say ended in shootouts. But activists say the real toll of the crackdown was far greater, with thousands of slumland drug users, many of whom were included on official "watch lists", killed in mysterious circumstances.
Police deny involvement in those killings and reject allegations from rights groups of systematic executions and cover-ups.
Latest Stories
-
India–Africa Forum Summit IV postponed following consultations over health concerns
4 minutes -
We’re in a very good political environment — Dr Nduom after GN Bank licence restitution order
13 minutes -
BoG CRR adjustment vindicates my position – Dr Gideon Boako
18 minutes -
BoG pushes for connected African financial markets to unlock growth
21 minutes -
FTF Impact Summit calls for stronger youth collaboration to drive Ghana’s development
25 minutes -
Health Minister assures Ghana has recorded no Ebola cases despite WHO emergency declaration
34 minutes -
Over 101,000 students benefit from government’s No Academic Fees Policy – SLTF
39 minutes -
NPP supporters in Tarkwa-Nsuaem protest alleged irregularities in internal elections
40 minutes -
Adaklu-Helekpe residents gripped by fear following mountain mudslide
40 minutes -
Former Attorney-General condemns Abronye DC’s detention after High Court grants bail
41 minutes -
Nduom welcomes Court of Appeal ruling restoring GN Savings and Loans licence
47 minutes -
Margins Group celebrates NIA@20
48 minutes -
Traders lament slow pace of Krofrom Market reconstruction after recent project resumption
49 minutes -
IMCC engages media practitioners on new Decentralisation policy framework
49 minutes -
Our second coming will be bigger – Nduom on GN Savings and Loans
57 minutes