Audio By Carbonatix
The Director of the Strategy, Research and Communication division of the Office of the Special Prosecutor (OSP), Samuel Appiah Darko, has reiterated that the former Minister of Finance, Ken Ofori-Atta, has yet to submit any medical report to the OSP, contrary to claims made by his legal representatives in the media.
Speaking to journalists in Accra on Monday, June 2, Special Prosecutor Kissi Agyebeng accused the former minister of acting in bad faith, adding that the office’s patience had been exhausted.
“From January 24 till now, Mr Ofori-Atta has not produced any medical report. From March to May, he said he was going to have a surgical operation in March… After accommodating him, he never bothered to tell OSP that there had been a fundamental change in your [his] condition.
“Therefore, the OSP views Mr Ofori-Atta’s lawyers’ letter dated 28 May 2025 as an expression of utter bad faith on the part of Mr Ofori-Atta, and it confirms our long-held, well-considered opinion and conclusion that Mr Ofori-Atta has no intention of voluntarily returning to the jurisdiction and to attend the OSP,” he said.
The OSP also announced that the lawyers of the former Minister had told his office that Mr Ofori-Atta was battling with cancer.
Read also: A letter was sent to OSP over Ken Ofori-Atta’s inability to be in Ghana – Frank Davies
Speaking on the AM Show on JoyNews on Tuesday, June 3, Mr Darko clarified that, "What is happening here is that a suspect (Ken Ofori-Atta) said that he is sick and cannot come, now the difficulty is this, the suspect has not provided any medical report, I heard the lawyers (lawyers of the former minister) saying that there is a medical report, please it is not true," he said.
He noted that the inability to prove that the former minister is undergoing medical treatment outside the country led the OSP to reinstate Mr Ofori-Atta on its list of wanted individuals.
Read also: Ofori-Atta declared wanted again by OSP after missing June 2 deadline
He emphasised that the assertions regarding Mr Ofori-Atta’s health are currently confined to statements from the minister’s lawyers, with no accompanying documentary proof submitted to the Special Prosecutor’s Office. "What is there is just a letter by Ken Ofori-Atta's lawyers saying that our client is sick and he is going to do surgery, so he cannot come," he claimed.
The case involving Ken Ofori-Atta dates back to investigations into alleged financial improprieties during his tenure as Minister of Finance.
Latest Stories
-
GJA President urges Ghana to weigh environmental and social costs alongside mining revenues
56 seconds -
Irresponsible mining: The land is not your own – Prof Mike Oquaye cautions
9 minutes -
62 Ghanaians killed, 15 missing in Russia-Ukraine war – Ablakwa
9 minutes -
GJA President urges responsible, sustainable mining
11 minutes -
Ghana must take charge of its mineral resources – Prof. Mike Oquaye
17 minutes -
KickedIn uses technology to connect African football talent with global opportunities
18 minutes -
GoldBod did not record GH¢22bn loss; audited accounts show GH¢5.44bn surplus – Institute of Fiscal Policy Governance
22 minutes -
Mining comes with responsibility to future generations – Ga Mantse
24 minutes -
Ga Mantse calls for measurable CSR and stronger local participation in mining communities
31 minutes -
Ga Mantse urges mining industry to protect communities beyond the life of mines
46 minutes -
Empowerher in Upper West region
1 hour -
Ga Mantse challenges mining stakeholders to consider long-term impact of Ghana’s mineral wealth
1 hour -
Afenyo-Markin accuses GoldBod of mismanaging Ghana’s gold resources
1 hour -
Non-interest banking products must meet required standards – BoG Governor to NIFAC
1 hour -
Social licence to mine can be withdrawn – Ga Mantse warns mining companies
1 hour