Audio By Carbonatix
King Charles has made his first intervention in the latest round of revelations in the Epstein scandal, saying Buckingham Palace is ready to support the police as they consider allegations against his brother, Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor.
"The King has made clear, in words and through unprecedented actions, his profound concern at allegations which continue to come to light in respect of Mr Mountbatten-Windsor's conduct," a Palace spokesman said.
"While the specific claims in question are for Mr Mountbatten-Windsor to address, if we are approached by Thames Valley Police, we stand ready to support them as you would expect," he said.
Thames Valley Police confirmed it is assessing whether there are grounds to investigate a complaint by the anti-monarchy group Republic, which reported Mountbatten-Windsor for suspected misconduct in public office and breach of official secrets.
Emails from the recently-released batch of Epstein files appear to show the former prince passing on reports of visits to Singapore, Hong Kong and Vietnam and confidential details of investment opportunities.
After the trips, on 30 November 2010, he appears to have forwarded official reports of those visits sent by his then-special adviser, Amit Patel, to Epstein, five minutes after receiving them.
There were also details of investment opportunities in Afghanistan, described as "confidential", which appear to have been passed on to Epstein on 24 December 2010.
Under official guidance, trade envoys have a duty of confidentiality over sensitive, commercial, or political information about their official visits.
The Buckingham Palace statement says that the King and Queen's "thoughts and sympathies have been, and remain with, the victims of any and all forms of abuse".
Earlier on Monday, the King had travelled to Clitheroe, where a heckler shouted: "How long have you known about Andrew?" The rest of the crowd booed the man asking the question.
The Buckingham Palace intervention follows an earlier statement from the Prince and Princess of Wales' spokesperson, who said they were "deeply concerned" by the latest revelations about Epstein.
"Their thoughts remain focused on the victims," said a Kensington Palace spokesperson, ahead of Prince William's visit to Saudi Arabia this week.
Since the release of three million more documents related to Epstein, there has been growing pressure on Mountbatten-Windsor, with claims a second woman was sent to the UK by Jeffrey Epstein for a sexual encounter with him.
Photographs appearing to show him kneeling on all fours over a female lying on the ground were also included in the latest batch of files.
There has also been embarrassment for his ex-wife, Sarah Ferguson. Emails signed "Sarah" show appeals for support and money from sex offender Epstein.
Last week, Andrew was moved more quickly than expected from his home at Royal Lodge in Windsor to the King's private estate in Sandringham.
In October 2025, following a prior wave of revelations about his ties to Epstein, Mountbatten-Windsor was stripped of his titles as a prince and a duke.
Andrew has consistently and strenuously denied any wrongdoing. Being named in the Epstein files does not indicate misconduct.
Latest Stories
-
Lebanon says 19 killed in Israeli air strikes
52 minutes -
Thailand cuts visa-free stay period for more than 90 countries including UK
1 hour -
Lordina Mahama recognised by Merck Foundation for her impactful programmes
4 hours -
The wailing across Ghana reflects NDC’s scam, says Minority Chief Whip Annoh-Dompreh
4 hours -
We signal the public before NDC can mislead Ghanaians – Annoh-Dompreh
4 hours -
GIBA calls on NCA to review FM coverage restriction directive – GIBA President
5 hours -
Future of Ghana’s media will be defined by AI, digital disruption and regulatory reform – GIBA
5 hours -
Mahama stayed away so Ministers could speak freely – Kwakye Ofosu opens up on Damang Mine Cabinet debate
5 hours -
Kylie Minogue says cancer experience ‘still with me’
5 hours -
Dozens of romance scammers arrested after specialist fraud squad investigation in UK, Nigeria
5 hours -
Ghana to bid farewell to Aps Kwadwo Safo as funeral rites set for July 30
6 hours -
Son of Mango boss arrested over father’s fatal fall from cliff
6 hours -
Video: Moment Arsenal squad found out they were Premier League 2025/26 champions
6 hours -
Starbucks Korea sacks CEO over controversial ‘Tank Day’ promotion
6 hours -
Google to release first smart glasses since Google Glass flop
6 hours