Audio By Carbonatix
Former Defence Minister Dominic Nitiwul has questioned the timing of the government’s decision to expand recruitment into Ghana’s security services, asking why the move was not implemented earlier if the capacity existed.
He said although the opposition supports efforts to create jobs for young people through security recruitment, the decision raises questions about why the numbers were initially limited.
Speaking on JoyNews Pulse on Tuesday, March 17, Mr Nitiwul said he agrees in principle with the directive by President John Mahama to increase recruitment.
“In principle, we agree with what the president has done to double the numbers. For every other young person who gets a job, we are all for it,” he said.
However, he questioned why the government had earlier limited recruitment numbers if it now has the capacity to significantly expand them.
“If today they could recruit 20,000, why did they decide to recruit 10,000 at the beginning and use IMF as the excuse?” he asked.
Mr Nitiwul suggested the decision appears to be an afterthought, but maintained that it should still be welcomed if it benefits young people.
“All the same, we welcome it. We think that it’s something that will benefit the youth and we are all for it,” he added, urging government to even consider increasing the numbers further if resources allow.
His comments follow a directive issued by President Mahama on March 16, 2026, to expand recruitment into Ghana’s security services from 20,000 to 40,000 personnel over four years.
The directive covers agencies including the Ghana Police Service, Ghana Armed Forces and Ghana Immigration Service, with approximately 10,000 recruits expected to be enlisted annually through a transparent and merit-based process.
The move is aimed at strengthening national security while also addressing youth unemployment, though it has generated debate over the funding and logistical preparations required to support the expanded intake.
Mr Nitiwul, however, cautioned that the increase in recruitment must come with adequate financial planning and preparation.
He explained that recruitment into the security services is tied to the budget allocated to the Ministry of the Interior, which covers salaries, uniforms, equipment and other operational costs.
“That is factored into the money for pay and allowances which has to be reviewed by the Minister for Finance,” he said, adding that additional resources would also be needed to procure uniforms and other equipment for the recruits.
He also pointed to accommodation challenges, noting that some recruits may require housing or allowances if barracks are unavailable.
“We will not accept a situation where these young people are just called in, handpicked, and then suffer along the way because government did not prepare itself,” he said.
Mr Nitiwul maintained that although the expansion is good for Ghana and could benefit many young people, the government must ensure the necessary resources and planning are in place to support the initiative.
Latest Stories
-
The Abronye Charge Sheet – misuse in plain sight
9 minutes -
Carvajal to leave Real Madrid after 23 years
10 minutes -
‘No bad blood’: Sam George downplays heated clash with Abena Osei-Asare
19 minutes -
Damang Gold Mine sells another 100% of its gold output to GoldBod
20 minutes -
Adansi Asokwa MP launches skills training programme for youth
25 minutes -
EPA shuts down mining site allegedly linked to former Mpohor DCE
51 minutes -
Health, educational institutions in deprived communities get free cement from Ghacem
1 hour -
GSA arrests Chinese managers for reopening locked mattress factory
1 hour -
Court grants GH¢63.5m bail to ex-NAFCO CEO and wife in alleged corruption trial
1 hour -
Kofi Jumah released after meeting GH¢30m bail terms
2 hours -
GSA shuts down 4 companies in Afienya over substandard mattresses
2 hours -
Theo Dzimega defends judge’s discretion in Abronye DC bail, criticises Afenyo-Markin’s remarks
2 hours -
Ghana Bar Association rejects ‘NPP’ tag by Ofosu Kwakye
2 hours -
Hindsight: What next for the women’s relay team after African Championships?
2 hours -
World Vision launches 5-year water and sanitation programme in Wa
2 hours