Audio By Carbonatix
Rapper Gucci Mane was allegedly kidnapped at gunpoint in Dallas earlier this year, leading to the arrests of eight men, including a fellow artist signed to his label, officials say.
Prosecutors allege rapper Pooh Shiesty, born Lontrell Williams Jr, led the ambush under the guise of a meeting, holding Mane captive inside a recording studio and forcing him to sign papers releasing him from his contract.
Mane is an Atlanta-based artist who has collaborated with Usher, Doja Cat, Drake and other stars. He founded his label, 1017 Records, in 2007 and Williams Jr signed as an artist in 2020.
The defendants, who are yet to enter their pleas, could face life in prison if convicted.
Eight of the nine defendants were arrested on Wednesday in Dallas, Memphis and Nashville, and charged in federal court with kidnapping and armed robbery.
One suspect remains at large, and investigators are working with authorities in the state of Georgia to locate him, US Attorney Ryan Raybould told a news conference on Thursday.
The incident took place on 10 January, a federal complaint says, when Williams Jr was supposed to be under house arrest for a previous firearms conspiracy conviction.
He was allegedly joined by eight co-defendants, including his father, Lontrell Williams Sr, all of whom are accused of participating in the crime.
A sworn statement from the FBI says Williams Jr pointed a "black AK-style pistol" at Mane and forced him to sign the papers. He also allegedly stole Mane's wedding ring, watch, earrings and cash.
The other suspects allegedly brandished pistols as well, demanding property from additional victims in the room, identified in the complaint only by initials.
One of the victims was choked and injured, and had his Rolex watch, Louis Vuitton bag, AirPods and wallet stolen from him, according to the complaint.
"Within hours of leaving the Dallas studio, a number of the defendants were on social media displaying some of the items that appeared to be the jewellery that had been robbed from the victims," Raybould said.
Prosecutors say the rapper and the other victims believed "they were going to be executed" before the defendants ordered them to leave the building and go to their cars.
Representatives for Williams Jr and Mane did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
Latest Stories
-
Joana Gyan Foundation partners KN Foundation, GFA & PFAG for historic Nsawam Prison outreach
1 minute -
Chief urges youth to see farming as dignified business, not punishment
9 minutes -
Majority Leader says Ghana is experiencing ‘fastest economic recovery’
14 minutes -
Anlo-Afiadenyigba SHS appeals for constant water supply, security
16 minutes -
‘Stability, credibility and predictability are Ghana’s competitive advantage’ – Ambassador Victor Smith
19 minutes -
NAIMOS arrests Chinese national, 7 Ghanaians in Ashanti Illegal Mining crackdown
23 minutes -
Three including a baby killed in multi-vehicle crash on Kasoa-Winneba Highway
26 minutes -
Wontumi denies authorising illegal mining on Akonta concession
29 minutes -
Agbodza visits Adaklu-Helekpe mudslide victims, calls for urgent environmental action
32 minutes -
TMA holds first ordinary meeting, discusses development, challenges, progress
34 minutes -
PAC calls for closure of livestock market near the national mosque
36 minutes -
Security agencies don’t need my permission to arrest you – Speaker Bagbin to MPs
40 minutes -
Ghana and Togo strengthen cooperation on security, trade and regional development
44 minutes -
Minority Leader slams Mahama’s gov’t over…
47 minutes -
52-old-year cabbie killed in crash on Wenchi–Wa Highway
54 minutes